Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 220L Drum plug Modification

Thanks

garage nut's Tools

220L Drum plug Modification

Always trying to save some water and this time for my hothouse. It is 2m x 4m so it is 8m2 of roofing that can also be harvested. Found some cheep and clean 220L drums, was used for sugar syrup so perfectly safe to use to store water for my hothouse plants.

Problem is I can not let the drums stand upright as it will limit the height for the plants to grow and I wanted the drum inside as the heat retention will help in winter, but that is another project...

Lying the drum on its side is no problem as my containers are standing on some cement blocks, just the right height for the drum to fit in underneath.
    Now the problem

The plug they use for a lid has some funny treads. Surely in the process the plug is just pushed in and not screwed in.

220L Drum plug Modification-220l-drum-plug.jpg

So a trip to a specialty shop for tanks and irrigation stuff left me with no easy screw in solution. But scratching around in my adapters and fittings box I came up with a piece of 1" threaded pipe with some flange nuts and a rubber washer. After a quick spin in the lathe the plug and a very tight fitting 1" hole in it and the flange nut was turned down just enough to go into the hole in the drum.

220L Drum plug Modification-lid-mod.jpg

Assembled.

220L Drum plug Modification-lid-mod-2.jpg

And refitted in the drum... standard 1" thread to continue to the pump, which by the way is recycled off and old washing machine and has a 2" inlet, but that is another project.

220L Drum plug Modification-pug-done.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by garage nut; Dec 19, 2018 at 12:13 AM.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks garage nut! We've added your Drum Plug Modification to our Farm and Garden category,
    as well as to your builder page: garage nut's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information