Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 4 string to 5 string bass conversion and set up

Thanks

timc_doc's Tools

4 string to 5 string bass conversion and set up

4 string to 5 string bass conversion and set up-sbridge_2.jpg old bridge work trying to get feet same shape as top, later used pencil marks on paper on top to show high spots on feet & scrape to shape.
    4 string to 5 string bass conversion and set up-snewbridge_4.jpg new bridge made of cypress, its too soft, but might be salvageable with oak or maple top part, probably not worth it.
    4 string to 5 string bass conversion and set up-sfivestrkit_5.jpg 5 string tailpiece also cypress, with the addition of some oak bits it will work just fine
    4 string to 5 string bass conversion and set up-spegging_6.jpg pegging and redrilling scroll, also been reshaping fingerboard scraping and checking
    4 string to 5 string bass conversion and set up-styrolean_3.jpg 5 tuners installed
    4 string to 5 string bass conversion and set up-sassembly_1.jpg working! got to play it for 4 days before it came apart. shoddy workmanship, neck joint was only about 15% connected, rest was empty space and not hide glue. top & back started separating, no hide glue used. To be fair this was not meant for 5 strings, I will repair it eventually and use hide glue, it'll be fine
    4 string to 5 string bass conversion and set up-stopless_2.jpg sitting waiting for me and some spruce bits
    This was only the second or third instrument I'd repaired/modified. Also set up my (already) 5 string bass, but thats a different post. http://timsherri.dynalias.net/bass/index.html for more steps pics. Click on pics for bigger

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by timc_doc; Dec 19, 2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: More pics progress
    http://timsherri.dynalias.net/lab lab pics & project links at bottom

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timc_doc For This Useful Post:

Jon (Mar 11, 2013), kbalch (Mar 11, 2013)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Thanks yet again timc_doc! This one has been added to our Miscellaneous category, and of course to your homemade tools page: timc_doc's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information