Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 4" x 6" Horizontal Bandsaw - Fixing the depth of cut issue

Supporting Member winkys workshop's Avatar
    Thanks

winkys workshop's Tools

4" x 6" Horizontal Bandsaw - Fixing the depth of cut issue

I'm investigating the cost of making these plates, hopefully for less than $30 each. Send me an email if you are interested. For my email address, template and instructions follow this link (NOTE: I had the email address wrong and it is corrected now): https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ya?usp=sharing

A good fix for the depth of cut issue experienced on some saw when blade guides are set in the optimum position.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to winkys workshop For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 19, 2021), nova_robotics (Feb 18, 2021), sacco1 (Feb 18, 2021)

Thanks
    If you could make me the elevate plate I'll pay you. I believe you said $30?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I lost, why not just adjust the adjustable stop screw/bolt that the saw has??I must be missing something. also if you havent already, pull the gear cover and add lube,I made a mixture of synthetic 75140 gear lube some moly greese and a tad of the old stickey STP. then tilted the saw so the opening was leveal and almost filled it up so they always have lube.Iev had no leekage issues at all. and no gear issues either,Ive seen a lot of these saws over the years with dead gears.mine had very little lube in it when I got it new.(over 25 years ago) my brothers saw the same thing but red is probably 40 years old with massive usage.I think he had a gear issue with it from little to no lube in it,I dont recall if he got new gears or made some or just what he did,but he did add lube like it needs to have. Keep up all the great vid's comming!!!

Thanks

winkys workshop's Tools
    > I'm lost, why not just adjust the adjustable stop screw/bolt that the saw has??

Yeah... you need to watch part one. It tells why. Basically when the blade guides are set correctly the saw will not cut deep enough. The bolt was adjusted down and the blade cover hit the bottom casting. I removed the cover and then the upper casting was hitting the switch housing. The pivot point for the top sections was wrong (too high). Yes I replace the grease with synthetic 90W oil. The oil in it looked like 20 wt.

Thanks
    mine dont have that issue, mine also has different switch and a piece of angle that hits the toggel can be bent or shortened if needed..."new &updated model"aint always better....but they do all this head ache stuff for the ones who like cutting off fingers....
    I adjusted all the cams/eccentricks, had to tweek one slide just a little I assume it was welded off a tad. marking the table with degrees is also very helpfull. be sure you have it all squared up and cutting straight before scribing and marking degree #'s. that makes set up so eazey. I got a dirt bike chain brush off flebay to mount to keep much of the swarf off the bearing faces, but haven't mounted it yet.( Ive not used my saw much lately, probably 8~12times last year) I also added some holes to the motor rear shield for more air to exit/enter( in places where no dibris would enter) the motor runs cooler now.it really needs more fannage to cool it for times when they see a lot constant of usage. I hope to get back to a lot more usage again...on all my machines.
    Last edited by marksbug; Feb 22, 2021 at 12:58 PM. Reason: head scratch

Thanks

winkys workshop's Tools
    The switch is a result of the problem. If the switch was the only problem I'd modify the switch. The pivot point it too high and as a result the front of the saw needs to drop another 1/8" to complete the cut. The blade cover hits the bottom casting. If I take the cover off I get another 1/8" and then it hits the switch housing.

With the Elevating plate the saw competes the cut and then drops 1/8" and kills the switch. Plus I get the added benefit of having the blade cover back on.

Your brush idea is a good one! I need to do that.

Thanks
    my cover only contacts after the switch has turned the saw off.small changes and missaliginement of everything this way or that and the stack up may just be too high on some saws. they may even of changed the casting a little to save a few ounces of iron...and possiably changed the cover shape some to stiffen it up some. modern tech is going to be the end oh the human race.....nobody wants to use their brains, engineers think they know everything.....well...some know a lot and some not so much, but think they do because they have a diploma. I have many....but they dont in reality do anything. keep up all the great mods and vids,Ive seen lots of yours. we can all learn something from somebody else with a different perspective on the some thing. thus the awesomeness of this forum!!!

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks winkys workshop! We've added your Bandsaw Elevating Plate to our Bandsaws category,
    as well as to your builder page: winkys workshop's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information