Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: 4ft hydraulic plate roll

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Has to be a good feeling when the tool works as expected. I was wondering where you went, as I didn't see any posts on this or other projects.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Has to be a good feeling when the tool works as expected. I was wondering where you went, as I didn't see any posts on this or other projects.
    I knew going in that the speed was going to be faster than I wanted also by reducing it to another 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 it will multiply the amount of torque available.
    Although had I a 2 grove large pulley it would have helped as well I cannot stall the hydraulic motor as it is right now the belt will slip.
    I'm pretty sure that I could possibly roll full width 7 ga or 3/16" plate once I reconfigure the reduction system and possibly add an idler pulley or 2 to get more wrap on the small pulley but will probably go to a 6" diameter one to mate with the large one which will reduce my ratio then make up for it with another jack shaft to hit pair up to the motor.
    Ultimately I would like to come up with a 4 or 5 to one epicyclical drive to mount directly on the motor and come off of that with the 6 inch pulley.
    I have 6 more of those hydraulic motors and now that I know their capacities I may some day decide to build the mini dozer I designed years ago using 2 of them in each final drive unit and 2 of them for a PTO or I may make a wood chipper with a couple of them who knows they're not going anywhere stashed away in my storage.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I have 6 more of those hydraulic motors and now that I know their capacities I may some day decide to build the mini dozer I designed years ago using 2 of them in each final drive unit and 2 of them for a PTO or I may make a wood chipper with a couple of them who knows they're not going anywhere stashed away in my storage.
    I don't know how you have the time to do all the things you post. It took me two days to drill out the spot welds and remove the rocker panel step on the 57 chevy truck. It's going to take lots longer to remove all the rust and paint stuff before I can get the new panel installed. And I have to replace half the floor as well. I ordered a panel off eBay, and don't like the quality or how it fails to mimic the OEM pressed stiffening grooves, so now I need to find something better. And that panel will be mega more work.
    I'm doing simple stuff compared to you making a slip roller for heavy gauge sheet. And I am fully retired from a prostitution job.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I just work at things until I get to a point where they require $$$ to be thrown at them. then set them aside until the monthly arrives in the bank. if there is anything left over after bills and food some $$ may get allocated to one project or another Or I may come up with a trade item to acquire things I need.
    I have a guy who is forever bringing me new projects that I'll never get around to doing even if suddenly the earth slowed to a 60 hour day and I was to live to be a 150. I have 2 of his trailers here now to work on. one is hopefully going to be simple if I can get my cheapo spool gun to work well enough to weld the aluminum. and on the trailer is a pair of Honda Pilots he bought at auction 1 wrecked with good engine one good shape with bad engine. My little Masda pickup that I use to go out and get larger trucks then tow it back home overheated on me Friday on my way back from Little rock the temp gage went from normal to all the way out of sight in an instant then back to normal I figured the engine was toast before I could find a place to get off the interstate about 2 miles So now I will have to pull the engine out of one of the parts trucks to put in it. Would like to have the 3 air tanks made and both engines swapped by Monday but probably won't happen. That's what I get for being retired. I wouldn't have time to have a job if it only required 1 day a week to work at it.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I just work at things until I get to a point where they require $$$ to be thrown at them. then set them aside until the monthly arrives in the bank. if there is anything left over after bills and food some $$ may get allocated to one project or another Or I may come up with a trade item to acquire things I need.
    I have a guy who is forever bringing me new projects that I'll never get around to doing even if suddenly the earth slowed to a 60 hour day and I was to live to be a 150. I have 2 of his trailers here now to work on. one is hopefully going to be simple if I can get my cheapo spool gun to work well enough to weld the aluminum. and on the trailer is a pair of Honda Pilots he bought at auction 1 wrecked with good engine one good shape with bad engine. My little Masda pickup that I use to go out and get larger trucks then tow it back home overheated on me Friday on my way back from Little rock the temp gage went from normal to all the way out of sight in an instant then back to normal I figured the engine was toast before I could find a place to get off the interstate about 2 miles So now I will have to pull the engine out of one of the parts trucks to put in it. Would like to have the 3 air tanks made and both engines swapped by Monday but probably won't happen. That's what I get for being retired. I wouldn't have time to have a job if it only required 1 day a week to work at it.
    At one time I thought I would retire and offer unique repair services for antique machines (casting and machining). But I have sufficient cash flow, and now would never lock into a schedule of fixing stuff for others. And I have a lifetime of hoarded stuff to fix of my own.
    And you know, you look at all the repairs needed on stuff you built over the past 35 years, and see work everywhere (the shop needs new windows and gutter work). And then ground hogs think they should live under your buildings, and you get to repair their nasty of undermining the concrete slabs. I also, never seem to finish stuff 100%, and that is unlimited in time consumption. Then this spring the furnace quits, and opening it up, cracked plastic parts that result in installing a new furnace before winter frost starts up. That's my task this week, as hot and humid outdoors limits working on the truck floor in the afternoon.
    I do enjoy retirement, and don't know how I ever had time for the projects I did while working. I only hire things out, where physical strength, or fear of falling makes me cough up the cash. And I'm never disappointed from my now expectation of poor quality of workmanship when paying others. I'm not perfect, but if I run into a problem when I repair something, I don't cover it up.

I hope your new shop is finished. I did look at your youtube videos you posted showing 3 years of some of the many tasks you've done. Making a powered slip roller so you can make an air tank for an antique truck, which will create more work in the future. How do you say no to all these folks that see your talent and want to consume it?

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    My shop, which should be priority #1 is one of those things that requires net positive excess cash flow. Even though I have the poles up and the trusses made and enough materials to add in bridging cross and diagonal bracing between the trusses and steel to make a top plate for the perimeter of the building. I don't have purlins to attach the sheet metal or a means to secure the trailer load of PIR cold storage grade insulation that I have before the sheet metal can be installed on the roof.
    I also have enough 38ft long sheets of corrugated galvanized sheets to cover a building 1 1/2 times the size of the one I am building.
    What I need to do is to get a couple of these trailers finished so we can either sell them or lease them on for use to get the cash flow required to push me into resuming work on the building.
    I live on Frank's time out here and things get done when they get done or they don't get done at all much to the aggravation of my wife LOL

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    While working on a new repair project I decided that I was going to need to roll a couple strips of 3/8" thick 4 1/2" wide T1 steel Now the grade of the metal I have has a minimum yield of 100,000 PSI and a Brinell hardness of between 235 & 290 RC 26 in its natural state.
    So a pretty good work out for my plate roll I figured. Actually due to there only being 9 inches total width the roll acted like it was no big deal.
    This was one of the reasons why a built it like I did
    4ft hydraulic plate roll-img_20210715_185711.jpg
    These 2 strips would be about equal to a single piece 1/8" of hot rolled mild steel 54 inches wide
    Last edited by Frank S; Jul 15, 2021 at 09:37 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 17, 2021), NortonDommi (Jul 16, 2021), nova_robotics (Jul 16, 2021)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    I recall you built this to make those airbrake pressure tanks for the antique truck. Any idea how that customer is coming with the restoration? As well you have an old truck to restore.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    I recall you built this to make those airbrake pressure tanks for the antique truck. Any idea how that customer is coming with the restoration? As well you have an old truck to restore.
    He had the truck at the ATHS national Convention last month in Harrisonburg PA.
    I have a whole acre of old trucks to restore, some mine but most belong to others
    My 49 Chevy c3100 is still tucked away in 1 of my storage trailers. My 1944 EQ Mack is hiding behind my 1963 mack 755 And I use the 64 Mack C600 once in a while to move things around with when I have my 85 Cabover freightliner hooked up to another trailer
    and then there is the 59 Ford F100 4 wheel drive belonging to a friend that is tucked away in a storage container. A 65 Dodge D300 and of course the 1916 CT Electric to restore plus a couple more B61 macks And a 1950 round nose 33 ft Dry van that my 49 chevy is in that I am thinking about pairing behind the EQ because of its size and both could have been rolling up and down the Highway at the same time back in the day

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

metric_taper (Jul 18, 2021)

Thread Information