This post covers several modifications I have recently made to my 4x6 bandsaw.
Like most home machinist I have one of these great little saws in the workshop. Although these saws are very useful they can be very frustrating to use. Due to this many articles have been written, on how to improve this style of bandsaw on the internet and this forum.
Like most I also wanted to improve the operation of my saw to suit my needs. So some of the improvements are from reading and watching forums and some are my own ideas. So please forgive me for going over old ground on some of the improvements I have made.
The main issue with the saw seems to be the flimsy sheet metal base, stock holding vice and feed control.
I recently posted my base and hydraulic feed modifications on this forum so don’t intend to cover old ground. So this post is about improvements to the vice.
The biggest issues with the vice is the loose jaw being to short and it’s in ability to hold short stock without twisting about the clamping bolt which clamps to the lead screw nut.
The adjustment of the jaws to cut mitres is also a phaff with spanner’s
After using the saw in the miter position realignment of the fix jaw to be square to the blade.
The last point is very simple fix: An adjustable stop so the jaw can be returned to it’s original position. I have included a drawing just in case anyone feels the need to add one to their saw.
The issue of stopping the vice from twisting when holding short stock has been covered by several people, using different techniques. Like most I used the method of threaded bar in a tapped hole in the loose jaw. But I was never really happy with the time and effort needed not only to wind the rod into position but also the time in winding it back when it is no longer needed. So it needed a quick release mechanism so I could look forward to using the saw rather than fight with it. So a new longer jaw was fabricated and silver soldered and a quick release mechanism added. The photo below shows the components and in the video the jaw can be seen working.
The last issue was to add a couple of Tee handle locks to clamp down the loose and fixed jaws.
The video will hopefully explain the operation and clarify how the modifications work. I am no Steven Spielberg so please be gentle with video feedback
Thank you for taking the time in reading this long post but hope you find it of interest.
The Home Engineer