Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 4x6 bandsaw vice modification and dead stop

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,068 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

4x6 bandsaw vice modification and dead stop

Hi All

This post covers several modifications I have recently made to my 4x6 bandsaw.
    Like most home machinist I have one of these great little saws in the workshop. Although these saws are very useful they can be very frustrating to use. Due to this many articles have been written, on how to improve this style of bandsaw on the internet and this forum.

Like most I also wanted to improve the operation of my saw to suit my needs. So some of the improvements are from reading and watching forums and some are my own ideas. So please forgive me for going over old ground on some of the improvements I have made.

The main issue with the saw seems to be the flimsy sheet metal base, stock holding vice and feed control.
    I recently posted my base and hydraulic feed modifications on this forum so don’t intend to cover old ground. So this post is about improvements to the vice.

The biggest issues with the vice is the loose jaw being to short and it’s in ability to hold short stock without twisting about the clamping bolt which clamps to the lead screw nut.

The adjustment of the jaws to cut mitres is also a phaff with spanner’s

After using the saw in the miter position realignment of the fix jaw to be square to the blade.

The last point is very simple fix: An adjustable stop so the jaw can be returned to it’s original position. I have included a drawing just in case anyone feels the need to add one to their saw.
    4x6 bandsaw vice modification and dead stop-c07b51ba-835a-4a91-9b8d-b1a690289a5a.jpeg 4x6 bandsaw vice modification and dead stop-6654250c-da2b-4599-87f9-5b258c8832f2.jpeg 4x6 bandsaw vice modification and dead stop-4f7bd645-1d93-486e-889d-3bafc2fdc97d.jpeg

The issue of stopping the vice from twisting when holding short stock has been covered by several people, using different techniques. Like most I used the method of threaded bar in a tapped hole in the loose jaw. But I was never really happy with the time and effort needed not only to wind the rod into position but also the time in winding it back when it is no longer needed. So it needed a quick release mechanism so I could look forward to using the saw rather than fight with it. So a new longer jaw was fabricated and silver soldered and a quick release mechanism added. The photo below shows the components and in the video the jaw can be seen working.

4x6 bandsaw vice modification and dead stop-0c46897e-34cd-4b8a-9ac5-1139f1d58af4.jpeg

The last issue was to add a couple of Tee handle locks to clamp down the loose and fixed jaws.

The video will hopefully explain the operation and clarify how the modifications work. I am no Steven Spielberg so please be gentle with video feedback

Thank you for taking the time in reading this long post but hope you find it of interest.

The Home Engineer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x6 bandsaw vice modification and dead stop-77537ef0-5827-4d63-a2e6-96b79ab82170.jpeg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Dec 24, 2021 at 05:54 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Claudio HG (Dec 28, 2021), DIYSwede (Dec 25, 2021), Home-PC (Dec 28, 2021), Jon (Dec 24, 2021), lassab999 (Dec 28, 2021), nova_robotics (Dec 28, 2021), Sleykin (Jan 8, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Dec 27, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Bandsaw Vise and Stop Modifications to our Bandsaws category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools

Completed modifications to vice assembly on 4x6 bandsaw

All components are now painted and finished.

4x6 bandsaw vice modification and dead stop-ca04f106-c499-442d-b4b0-4f557e95da00.jpeg 4x6 bandsaw vice modification and dead stop-09ccdc44-33a1-4b3c-80fe-faefe1234289.jpeg 4x6 bandsaw vice modification and dead stop-8b4f8937-3a4d-4f7a-befe-13fbb363b1c2.jpeg
    Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x6 bandsaw vice modification and dead stop-aaeef8bb-d310-46e0-a0ec-15973af21b57.jpeg  

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Sleykin (Jan 8, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Dec 27, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    The Home Engineer, you are right; Spielberg has nothing to worry about, but he probably can't kit up a bandsaw even a tiny bit.
    Anyway, where's the part we're not supposed to like?

These little saws are fully appropriate and serviceable in the small shop; you'd be surprised how often these appear in real jobbers and maintenance departments. It's entertaining to watch them futz about over the same issues that NEVER get corrected.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Dec 28, 2021)

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi Toolmaker51

Not only am I not a great director my six year old daughter said I should get someone to do the voice over. Me and my wife were laughing so much.

The video was only to help clarify the operation of the quick release mechanism on the loose jaw. As the photos didn’t really show how quick this modification works.

Thank you for your kind words
    The Home Engineer

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Dec 28, 2021)

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Thanks Homeengineer for sharing a truly informative video, nice solutions and explanations.
    ATB & Happy New Year!
    Cheers
    Johan

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    in re: Jaw Jack Screws. Most home and small shop machinists curry all kinds of similar traits, none perhaps more common than economical use of material. That'll include knocking up parts out of material bits big shop toss out with abandon. A phrase depicts this, a personal favorite stemming from someone here (could be M. Klotz or PJ), "It's not scrap until it cannot be clamped". Shortened parts save labor, and touchy operations such as parting in the lathe too. It also works carving multiple parts from one strip, sawing into pieces, leaving just a little profile to mill, sand or just deburr.
    Holding the off side of jaws would be used in all those instances.

One regular occasion is in pump work. sawing a short bit for a bushing or slip ring from a fat stub of centrifugal-cast bronze. I don't want to machine a 1/16"th more than needed. The material is expensive, laborious to clean up chips which go everywhere, or any avoidable issues. A new saw's been added where I'm a guest, it needs a jack too. Your post reminded me of the most desirable feature, quick release nut they'll love. They saw a wide variety of size and diameter, thinking I'll put 2 or 3 openings in the spring nut, so pressure could be closer to whatever height of material being clamped. This will (should) reduce deflection, where jaw loses some perpendicularity (and secure clamping) to saw bed.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi Toolmaker51
    Looking forward to seeing your design. I think extra screws are a brilliant idea if you have the space. This idea would definitely be a great help on a larger vice/saw and possibly a good idea to beef up the studding. I used M10 x 1.75.
    Yhe Home Engineer

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    10mm (our 3/8") is sufficient at ~4" or 6" of jaw opening, the Wells about 12-1/2", can't imagine 10mm-3/8 not buckling at that distance. That bubbled up another fix, use a shallow pocket with same 2 or 3 heights to keep it "in" alignment with stationary jaw. A drill point, large center drill, ball end mill - anything like that.
    I just close my eyes and visualize different means to whatever end is sought. Once in awhile results into dozing off, but still produces. Working out if heavy wall square tube could save drilling a proper clean hole.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Dec 30, 2021)

Thread Information