Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 6 way to repair external threads

Thanks

shopandmath's Tools

6 way to repair external threads

6 way to repair external threads
    Metal flow or plastic deformation
    60 degree file
    Thread mate
    Thread file
    Die
    Chasing a thread

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    At one time or another I've used all 6 ways even used a 7th way on some extremely large threads by using a cutting torch to clean them up

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

shopandmath (Nov 10, 2019)

Thanks

shopandmath's Tools
    Hi Frank S
    thank you for your reply
    I was thinking about making a video with additive material
    I Don’t know if it would be a waste of time welding – brazing (Brass) and different types of epoxies
    And the end result is not safe?
    what do you think?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by shopandmath View Post
    Hi Frank S
    thank you for your reply
    I was thinking about making a video with additive material
    I Don’t know if it would be a waste of time welding – brazing (Brass) and different types of epoxies
    And the end result is not safe?
    what do you think?
    A lot depends largely on how in-depth you are considering carrying your training video library.
    Next it depends on your level of expertise in the field and or whether or not you know someone or several someone's who are proficient in the myriad of possible procedures. There are many techniques in oxyacetylene welding / brazing alone.
    First off there should be a segment devoted entirely to safety and procedural explanation on the proper way to set up a torch rig. This could be done in a question and answer session followed by or a preceding on screen test with a number of questions to be answered by the viewers where they would write the question numbers and their answers on a piece of paper which they could review at the end of the session. I believe you have done something along this line in some of your previous videos.
    Then if you or the guy/s are true experts then they would be able to replicate poor quality welds as well as high quality ones while you or they carry on a running dialog of why this did not work and how to alter the procedure slightly to make the correct proper weld.
    welding on mild steel tubing or sheet metal you could explain and demonstrate the various filler materials which work well an old bare non coated cot hanger a length of bailing wire a painted coat hanger even why not to use zinc or galvanized coat hangers. then move on to using a stick electrode by breaking the flux off of it try various grades of electrodes from say 6011, 6013 7018 etc. and the differing qualities of welds which can be expected plus how to increase the quality of the welds using a particular filler by simply adjusting the feather of the flame slightly. Then use a mild steel filler rod that is normally associated in tig and torch welding explain how they can achieve acceptable quality welds without the need to buy those fillers by using the afore mentioned fillers.
    Move on to brazing using coated and un coated brazing rods explain how to make their own DIY brazing flux in an, emergency many house hold cleaning products will serve quite well
    You could keep your video as simple of as in-depth as you desire There are not enough free electrons floating around the internet for me to list or explain everything that I learned before I was 12 years old let alone what I taught myself through the years. good luck with your adventure I enjoy watching your videos.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

shopandmath (Nov 12, 2019)

Thanks

shopandmath's Tools
    Thank you Frank S for your feed back
    I am not very good with a welder
    I have had some bad experience with welding (welders flash)
    This are is not my core area I would need to bring in a welding engineer from the Cambridge campus to do the job right
    Thank you for you input
    Ray

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information