Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 6ft by 6ft farm trailer made from scrap

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

6ft by 6ft farm trailer made from scrap

somethings laying around are just begging to be reused. My neighbor had an old mobile deer stand tower made out of mostly lightweight angle iron. without the stand on top it was more or less just a 6 x 6 x 6 frame with a tongue and hitch on 1 end and a pair of spindles welded on the other so it could be towed around.
    I cut the upper works off leaving it about 2 ft tall then flipped it upside down cut the spindles off then made the 5 inch drop axle so I could mount it further forward.
    I had an old back bumper from a RV that had some frame work welded around it to be a place to haul things on the back of the rv so I cut that up to piece together the tailgate for the trailer and fill the gap in the floor where the expanded metal was missing
    What turned out has to be one of the ugliest little trailers on the planet but more than suitable for dragging around the farm
    6ft by 6ft farm trailer made from scrap-20190513_132526cv.jpg

6ft by 6ft farm trailer made from scrap-20190601_135143cv.jpg
    All of the paint in the world will never turn this into a silk purse but it can't hurt.
    On my recent trip to Ct. a friend of mine gave me a case to his KBS spray paint that he couldn't sell due to poorly made labels on the cans these 18oz cans retail for $18.00 each the paint has 100% UV stable esters in the paint and this particular paint has a thermal rating of 1000° f it is not their high temp coating just what they call their motor coater so it should stand up well for the little trailer additionally the paint has rust inhibitors to seal against any rust.
    6ft by 6ft farm trailer made from scrap-20190601_143508cv.jpg
    The new tires and jack are probably worth more than the whole rest of the trailer but so what

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

threesixesinarow (Jun 9, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Trailer to our Trailers and Towing category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    From scrap it is worth it's weight in gold. That is not counting it's usefulness.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mbshop For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jun 8, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
    From scrap it is worth it's weight in gold. That is not counting it's usefulness.
    considering the tires have a full 5 plys in the sidewalls and a single additional steel belt with a 60 PSI max pressure rating they will stand up to anything that could reasonably be loaded in a trailer of this size. Since this trailer is not actually intended for highway use I elected not to use springs as many farm trailers don't have springs especially a single axle had it been longer with 2 axles then of course springs would be required no matter what.
    My neighbor pulled it to town and back at speeds of 75MPH she said and with a 1,500 lb round bale in it she said she could hardly tell it was behind her. Much handier than her bale buggy she said because the back of her pickup was loaded down with feed she wouldn't have had room for the 10 mineral and salt lick blocks had she used the bale buggy, but with the trailer she just had them loaded in it along with the bale.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information