Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 74. Obey relative humidity laws! (shorts tip)

Thanks

Make Things's Tools

74. Obey relative humidity laws! (shorts tip)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    One of the things I like about working metal. It doesn't do that nearly as much!

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Dec 5, 2022)

Thanks

Make Things's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    One of the things I like about working metal. It doesn't do that nearly as much!
    Man, I hear you. Wood is really a very fickle thing to work with. You really need to understand it so that projects you create today will be around in 5 years.

The one thing that bugs me about metal is when you weld, you have to make sure everything is heated just right, and even then you have to worry about overheating. I agree though, I'm not waiting for the metal to equilibrate before I use it.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    When it comes to wood, I am much better off cutting it into firewood than doing projects with it but there are times when I have to put on the handcuffs go to the 10" Chrapsmen radial arm or the 10 inch Ryobi table saw the 12" Pro-shop miter saw or the Shopsmith lathe or one of the routers and hack away at a bunch of the future firewood to make this or that. Straight/flat lumber is a must in most cases to achieve any quality or longevity.
    A while back a neighbor brought over 10 8 ft 2x4s he had just bought about 2 hours before at the Box store in Abilene, said they broke open a bundle to get him some straight boards, by the time he arrived it my place all of them had a bow and a twist not bad but still not straight. Bad enough though that I knew ripping them was only going to make them worse. I swapped his boards out with some of mine I have had stacked in layers with furring strips between them. I have had my boards stacked that way for several years in a dark place took his boards laid them side by side flat sided, wedged them together in the rack then placed about 10 layers above them took us a couple hours to get my stack back how I liked it then we ripped the 10 boards I had swapped to him and he went away a very happy neighbor I told him transport and proper storage of any lumber new or old needs some attention. I have several sheets of plywood that I am slowly getting the warp out of might take another 6 months

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information