Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable wrench with dial and scale - photo

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,267 Times in 9,726 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Oct 15, 2020), old_toolmaker (Oct 14, 2020)

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    Somebody slap him!

2000 Tool Plans
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 15, 2020), cmarlow (Oct 15, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    Somebody slap him!
    Well he has his blue nitriles on so he wont soil his hands must be pink fingered as well
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    If I wear gloves it's often to hide how rough my hands look though I do break out the heavy gloves when I'm welding or casting because heat always wins over skin. Maybe my fingers are pink down deep but they normally just look black and dirty.

I'm disappointed with the welding gloves that I've bought so far because the index finger on the right glove gets rigid from heat and splits open, ruining another pair of gloves (I choke up on the rod for some welds). I've even cut off a finger from another pair of ruined gloves and glued it over the top of the split out finger but that's just a temporary fix which doesn't last and I'm also still looking for an ideal pair of gloves for milling so that I'm not digging steel needles out of my hands for two weeks. I'll consider any suggestions guys.

I did discover yesterday that a piece of Reynold's Wrap over the glove closest to the crucible when pouring metal works well enough for a shield that I don't have to hurry my pour because my hand is getting hot.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    If I wear gloves it's often to hide how rough my hands look though I do break out the heavy gloves when I'm welding or casting because heat always wins over skin. Maybe my fingers are pink down deep but they normally just look black and dirty.

I'm disappointed with the welding gloves that I've bought so far because the index finger on the right glove gets rigid from heat and splits open, ruining another pair of gloves (I choke up on the rod for some welds). I've even cut off a finger from another pair of ruined gloves and glued it over the top of the split out finger but that's just a temporary fix which doesn't last and I'm also still looking for an ideal pair of gloves for milling so that I'm not digging steel needles out of my hands for two weeks. I'll consider any suggestions guys.

I did discover yesterday that a piece of Reynold's Wrap over the glove closest to the crucible when pouring metal works well enough for a shield that I don't have to hurry my pour because my hand is getting hot.
    OH to bring back the real heat resistant mittens made of asbestos.
    most of the time unless I am running long beads with multiple passes I hardly even wear gloves to weld with or to cut with. but when I do they are usually deer skin drivers gloves the problem is even with the x large sizes the fingers are too short and the thumbs in them are too small in diameter. I'm predominantly left handed but my right glove is always the one that splits out first between the thumb and index fingers
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    You must be smarter than me Frank - seems like I always manage to put a bare hand down onto something that's hotter than Hell's gate hinges. I do sometimes grab my thin TIG gloves to stick weld because I have better hand control but I'd hate to ruin them stick welding.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Oct 15, 2020)

Thanks

Tig Finger

https://weldmongerstore.com/products/tig-finger

No connection. Just a satisfied cuatomer.
    Jim

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jimfols For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Oct 15, 2020)

Supporting Member old_toolmaker's Avatar
    Thanks

old_toolmaker's Tools
    Not the best use for a nice precision instrument in my opinion. Comical for sure. Years ago I might have been fired for that!��
    Dick

Links to some of my plans:

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/...965#post105972 OFF-SET TAILSTOCK CENTER PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...995#post112113 SMALL TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...994#post112111 LARGE TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...383#post110340 MINI-LATHE CARRIAGE LOCK PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...191#post106483 SMALL QC TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/q...849#post119345 QUICK CHANGE LATHE TURRET
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...949#post119893 MINI LATHE COMPOUND PIVOT MODIFICATION

Thanks
    So, I guess that makes outside micrometers a really nice C-clamp?
    Pat

14. The Following User Says Thank You to high-side For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Oct 15, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Somebody slap him!
    Consider him slapped.

Thread Information