Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Aircraft carrier nuclear reactor - photo

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,267 Times in 9,726 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

freddo4 (May 13, 2022), nova_robotics (May 13, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    How many small to medium size towns could be powered by such a device? Energy independence is available if we'd get over the nuclear pile bug.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by neilbourjaily View Post
    How many small to medium size towns could be powered by such a device? Energy independence is available if we'd get over the nuclear pile bug.
    Yep the sheeple are afraid of getting radiation poisoning from their electric meters and light bulbs in their homes if the power comes from a nuclear power plant
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    France was the only country (that I know about) that searched for a design, and then only used that design for all their land based plants. If a design problem was found, they all got the same service bulletin, and they all operated the exact same way so operators could move from location to location. I assume they also got a volume discount from using the same part number design (I can't remember if it was Westinghouse that sold them).

Supporting Member schuylergrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by neilbourjaily View Post
    The problem with nuclear is twofold: 1.) Private companies are running the plants, and their ultimate goal is to be as profitable as possible, which doesn't generally play well with being safety conscious, and 2.) We never have invested in the research to find a good way(s) to dispose of the waste products. But nuclear is no worse in a lot of ways than any other energy source, just the effects of a screw-up are much longer lived and possibly more widespread. We don't have good ways of getting rid of coal ash, either; liquid and gaseous fossil fuels contribute to global climate change, even when they aren't burned (and burning is a horrible waste of those finite resources); and even most renewables have problems with waste products and the impact of manufacturing conversion and storage devices. Nuclear, particularly nuclear fusion, could be an answer, but it isn't today...well, except by using that big nuclear fusion reactor that already powers our entire planet.

For topical application, only. Not to be taken internally or used in com-
    bination with other drugs or alcohol, except as directed by your shaman.
    Do not operate heavy equipment, unless you actually know how to.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to schuylergrace For This Useful Post:

metric_taper (May 15, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I rather suspect that operating a plant of the size shown above would not interest any commercial firms. There's insufficient volume to make them attractively profitable. Instead a better plan would be for communities to establish independent commissions/agencies that would cooperatively supply electricity. Staffing is always a problem. That could be solved in the early stages by employing the scores (hundreds?) of the exquisitely highly trained techs separating from the Navy.
    As far as any concept of safe disposal, that approaches the same question as sustainability. Sustainability is a fantasy. Humans use resources and humans are increasing across the planet. Disposal? The problems with disposal and production are largely NIMBY-ism. Actively taking responsibility for your own waste and your own consumption are un-American. we're much happier seeing, not seeing, the wastes of mining or recycling, for example, in someone else's backyard, say Waste Texas (smirk).

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information