Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Amp Meter and storage in a Jar

Thanks

garage nut's Tools

Amp Meter and storage in a Jar

Always battle to use the Amp meter because you have to keep in in SERIES while applying the current, witch can be shocking if you are using 220v AC.

So I mounted a 220V power socket on the base of a plastic jar and wired it in series with my multi meter to the power plug.

Amp Meter and storage in a Jar-img_0093.jpg

The nice thing is I can store a roll of insulation tape a small screwdriver and some other small electrical bits and pieces in the jar and simply plug the device I would like to determine its current draw in the power socket and plug it into the wall and see how much current it is drawing without trying to be a octopus ensuring all the connections are made...and I am not part of the circuit.

Amp Meter and storage in a Jar-img_0094.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to garage nut For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Feb 21, 2019), Jon (Feb 18, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Feb 19, 2019), suther51 (Feb 18, 2019)

Thanks
    Looks like the same meter I bought 25 years ago. It's still going, been a good meter. Paid around 70 dollars for it, they go for much less now. I now have other meters but it still is my first go to meter for day to day use. Thanks for the idea.
    Eric

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

garage nut's Tools
    Same here, I have a nice new one that even tells me what pin is what pin on a transistor, but this one is my favorite. Was hoping bat strapping it in series to some electrical items the new meter will grow on me.

Using it to determine what pump in my hydroponics system is drawing the most current because in theory my solar system should drive is for mare than a day with only 5 hours sun light, but it runs out of power, so moving the meter in a jar from pump to pump.

Needed some space to store a few zip ties and side cutters because sometimes it can be tricky fitting the meter and keeping everything dry...lots of splashing water in a hydroponic system

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks garage nut! We've added your Ammeter Setup to our Electrical category,
    as well as to your builder page: garage nut's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information