Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Anvil bridge

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,018 Times in 342 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Anvil bridge

Anvil bridge-2d17db02-5747-4d14-b780-ecd2ba2cd1ca.jpeg
    This has been quite challenging to make. I could have done with a pair of assistants. Whenever I tried to use a fuller or set hammer, the block would jump up from the anvil, often out of, or from beneath, the holdfast. Sometimes I might only strike 8 blows in a heat. Especially if it fell on the floor. Having to turn the piece frequently necessitated moving the holdfast, losing heat rapidly. Then again, I might not be able to go on for more than two hours, yes, it took many hours. However, I was determined to finish it, for my own satisfaction. The block is the last bit of 1 & 1/4” plate I salvaged from Howard at Shadow Supplies.
    I should think I have used at least half an ephah of charcoal. Yes. ...... No?
    About the size of a barrel.
    No? 36 gallons.
    No? 160 litres.
    Actually, I am not sure about these conversions, because I cannot find my little book of tables, which includes measures for coal. I am just being provocative.
    The fuel cost me nothing except the labour, although of course the blower and extractor were going.
    I forged a shank for the hardy hole from 3/4” round, welded this and a bit of gauge plate on top.
    Anvil bridge-9e7ae66a-ee44-4b61-a4cd-bf379400d930.jpeg
    Anvil bridge-bbb6f5ef-1b32-4caf-96f9-fa7f17808fb9.jpegAnvil bridge-cc57d8b5-cf2b-4349-8b9e-d00680568ec2.jpeg
    This last shows the principal holdfast. My next post will show the holdfasts, with comments on their demerits.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

carloski (Jan 16, 2022), rlm98253 (Jan 12, 2022), that_other_guy (Jan 13, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Jan 13, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Anvil Bridge to our Anvils category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    When looking at variety of products made before machine tools/ mass production; inevitable question is "what extent of blacksmithing tools made all that possible?".
    Does that hold-fast normally clamp well, or height of bridge not allowing enough engagement with dog hole?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Please educate me. What is an anvil bridge typically used for? Is this a tool for a specific type of work?

Thanks

Philip Davies's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    When looking at variety of products made before machine tools/ mass production; inevitable question is "what extent of blacksmithing tools made all that possible?".
    Does that hold-fast normally clamp well, or height of bridge not allowing enough engagement with dog hole?
    No, not very well, but it’s better now I have thinned it. It was a tyre lever, very rigid. I am still working on it.

Thanks

Philip Davies's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by clavius View Post
    Please educate me. What is an anvil bridge typically used for? Is this a tool for a specific type of work?

Handy for fork tines, or U-shapes.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information