Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anybody want some high performance aftermarket pistons?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Interesting observation!!!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Anyone notice what isn't in the photo, in concert with non-disclosure what they're for?

Have an inkling the piston domes had some revolutionary contours.
    The casting profile indicates the pistons could be Continental, The statement of aircraft or jeep is a dead giveaway though as Continental made both Air cooled aircraft engines and water cooled vehicle engines additionally continental was and is famous for long full skirted pistons As for the missing crown views if Continental they would be flat tops with possibly having reliefs cut for valve clearances, also depending on if machined for aircraft or vehicle usage.
    The pistons in the video are for a diesel engine and could be for just about any brand as many at one time or the other have used the offset precombustion chamber

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The casting profile indicates the pistons could be Continental, The statement of aircraft or jeep is a dead giveaway though as Continental made both Air cooled aircraft engines and water cooled vehicle engines additionally continental was and is famous for long full skirted pistons As for the missing crown views if Continental they would be flat tops with possibly having reliefs cut for valve clearances, also depending on if machined for aircraft or vehicle usage.
    The pistons in the video are for a diesel engine and could be for just about any brand as many at one time or the other have used the offset precombustion chamber
    Even more interesting observation!
    A group with a mechanical bent might guess 2:3 the video pistons are diesel, though it must be a very forgiving and simple design, possibly not vehicular. Those a bit on the rustic side.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Definitely, not following the science. As a classroom, high school drafting class, visited Venolia Pistons in Long Beach, CA. Looking back, on a quite non high-tech environment, they were meticulous about locations/ size for wrist pin and ring grooves.
    It was an interesting video. I have installed a lot of pistons, but never saw one made before. I was thinking as I watched the video, "If I was doing that"... I would think the wrist pin hole would be the to machine. Maybe not honed to final size, but everything else is relative to the pin. Isn't it?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Wrist pin location in pistons with any degree of sophistication; precisely located, perpendicular, to size, to include snap ring groove spacing (though some use 'buttons'). Most pistons have off-set pin holes, and certainly many are installed with orientation of valve reliefs.
    As a 'designer', the pin hole seems a perfect locator for other operations. Of course to do that, starts with fixturing off some other feature, which may be removed by the time machining is done. Likely not a lot of differences between those in the video and normal commercial production, except wide degree of precision and production rates, comparing cast parts.
    There's an interesting scene in "World's Fastest Indian", that portrays Burt Munro casting his own; quite sure his methods weren't high level production, but all he could do attaining best possible part.
    That his record remains standing (1967!), indicates that little shed was far removed from that in the video. There have been higher top speeds under 1000cc, but one way runs; not backed up by two-way runs. https://www.google.com/search?client...still+stand%3F

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information