Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Arroma Seal

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Arroma Seal

Yes I plagiarized the name on purpose
    Back when I used to do some very custom vehicle painting I learned a way to prevent partially used cans of paint from going bad by adding a puff of argon gas in the can as I resealed the top Nitrogen and Co2 works with varying results as well the key to preventing the paint from forming a hard layer on top is to prevent oxygen and moisture from being in the can.
    OK this works well for something you are not going to eat or drink but how about preserving that fresh aroma of things you can only experience upon opening a new container of what ever.
    For me I love my coffee I greatly prefer custom blending freshly backed and grinding the beans myself. But that is no longer practical for me as there is no place within a 1000 miles of me where I can obtain the beans I prefer, plus it is a royal pain to have to buy 4 or 5 different grades and types of beans in large quantities only to throw out 75% of them because they are not exactly like I wanted them it becomes expensive as well as wasteful.
    Up until Starbucks bought out the only great brand of coffee in the USA I used to order a brand by the name of Seattle's Best Breakfast blend by the 10 lb bags already roasted, blended and ground. But aside from that my go to store bought brand was and is Folgers buy varying the amount I use in my coffee maker I can make myself a robust cup of coffee without it tasting burnt or having that foul old taste.
    The problem is how to keep that fresh aroma locked in every time I open the container when I make a pot of coffee.
    DING stop the oxygen from contaminating the contents of the container by sealing it out. by mashing a piece of plastic wrap down on top of the grounds then snapping the cover on. Then the grounds will stay much fresher longer, maybe not all the way to an empty container unless you go through as much coffee as Jane and I do but for quite a while every time you open the container that fresh aroma will be there just as if you had first removed the seal.
    Arroma Seal-20210110_033043b.jpg

Arroma Seal-20210110_033146b.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 12, 2021), DIYer (Jan 11, 2021), Inner (Jan 11, 2021), Paul Jones (Jan 10, 2021), rgsparber (Jan 17, 2021), Tonyg (Jan 18, 2021), wolfpaak (Jan 12, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Coffee Grounds Preserver to our Culinary category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Works to keep ice cream longer also.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by overtheriver76 View Post
    Works to keep ice cream longer also.
    Ice cream goes bad???��

Thanks

katy's Tools
    Ice cream never hangs around my house long enough to go bad.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to katy For This Useful Post:

toeless joe (Jan 11, 2021)

Thanks
    With an old fashioned ice cream parlor I typically had 18 to 20 3 gallon containers open. It can go bad if not handled correctly. Who wants ice crystals in their ice cream?

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Yes I plagiarized the name on purpose
    Back when I used to do some very custom vehicle painting I learned a way to prevent partially used cans of paint from going bad by adding a puff of argon gas in the can as I resealed the top Nitrogen and Co2 works with varying results as well the key to preventing the paint from forming a hard layer on top is to prevent oxygen and moisture from being in the can.
    OK this works well for something you are not going to eat or drink but how about preserving that fresh aroma of things you can only experience upon opening a new container of what ever.
    For me I love my coffee I greatly prefer custom blending freshly backed and grinding the beans myself. But that is no longer practical for me as there is no place within a 1000 miles of me where I can obtain the beans I prefer, plus it is a royal pain to have to buy 4 or 5 different grades and types of beans in large quantities only to throw out 75% of them because they are not exactly like I wanted them it becomes expensive as well as wasteful.
    Up until Starbucks bought out the only great brand of coffee in the USA I used to order a brand by the name of Seattle's Best Breakfast blend by the 10 lb bags already roasted, blended and ground. But aside from that my go to store bought brand was and is Folgers buy varying the amount I use in my coffee maker I can make myself a robust cup of coffee without it tasting burnt or having that foul old taste.
    The problem is how to keep that fresh aroma locked in every time I open the container when I make a pot of coffee.
    DING stop the oxygen from contaminating the contents of the container by sealing it out. by mashing a piece of plastic wrap down on top of the grounds then snapping the cover on. Then the grounds will stay much fresher longer, maybe not all the way to an empty container unless you go through as much coffee as Jane and I do but for quite a while every time you open the container that fresh aroma will be there just as if you had first removed the seal.
    Frank, what do you use to extract the flavor from your coffee? I'm a coffee drinker as well, and nothing beats fresh ground. We use a Bunn maker, I think that tries to keep the water at 192-196F or somewhere in that range to keep bitters from being extracted.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I personally prefer dumping the grounds in a kettle and boiling my coffee 2nd to that is to put the basket in the pot and percolate it on my gas stove, but Jane doesn't like having grounds in the bottom of her cup so sadly boiling is out and it is hard to find coffee that is course ground enough for a percolator so I am relegated to using an electric coffee maker We used to have one that heated so fast and hot that it was almost like an espresso machine but allowed the super heated water to slowly steep through the grounds it was some French made thing we bought in Europe. I've owned commercial Bunn machines bought at restaurant supply but now I just have one of those stupidly cheap Mr. Coffee plastic coffee makers makes horrible coffee so I add more grounds. But every once in a while I drag my granite steel coffee pot off of the wood stove and make myself a real pot of coffee. Let her have her electric thingy made coffee. The river is too far away or I would probably fetch a pot of river water and build fire on the banks for my morning coffee
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

katy's Tools
    it is hard to find coffee that is course ground enough for a percolator
    Have you tried using the filters that go in the bottom of the basket?

Thanks

Bony's Tools
    I buy vacuum packed roasted coffee beans in 1kg packs then grind fresh coffee for espresso when needed for each cup. The beans keep MUCH better than pre-ground coffee and you can grind to your liking depending on coffee making method & taste. Just like they do in Italy.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information