Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Atmospheric Water Generator.

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    Hi Jeff eddi887, can do give me a day or so to find photos. :O)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

Captainleeward's Tools
    I started with a 30 gallon food container $25.00 at the local container store.
    I made a round insert hole in a piece of plexi glass that holds a 5 gallon bucket. inside the bucket are the charcoal filters 2 of them.
    I bought two water level gauges so it will stop the unit from putting water in the tank when its full. i also use this for filtering tap water.
    there is some 3/4 inch white pvc that goes down the full length of the food container this tube allows the suction pump to suck the water and put it in the spigot for filling water jugs. there is a float switch inside the food container tank to stop the pump from over filling the tank. I purchased a dehumidifier and took out the small water tank and put a tube in to the food container tank so as the unit makes water it goes into thru filters and then into 30 gallon food container tank .
    in my area I get 5 to 10 gallons of water at night depending on the humidity near the ocean.
    these small dehumidifiers can be run on solar with ample storage battery's.
    I keep 500 gallons (10 x 55 gallon barrels) of emergency water here and can filter this water in this unit if need be.
    I do not use this unit at all it is for emergency only so it stays off until I really need water.
    These are the only photos of the unit I have. hope this helps go online to find others who have made these as units. Cap....:O)

Atmospheric Water Generator.-020.jpgAtmospheric Water Generator.-033-2-.jpgAtmospheric Water Generator.-033.jpg
    Atmospheric Water Generator.-038.jpgAtmospheric Water Generator.-042.jpg
    Name:  008 copy.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  33.0 KB

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Captainleeward; Nov 1, 2019 at 05:10 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captainleeward For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Dec 12, 2021), PJs (Dec 28, 2016)

Thanks
    I think I could benefit from more pictures and build instructions.

Thanks

Captainleeward's Tools
    Hi chowdeshell,
    I'm not really in the business of making plans for projects because each project is different and requires special attention.
    But I can tell you that I get an idea and search the web to get all the best ways to proceed on the project and go from there.
    also each of us must except responsibility for there own skill levels this is another reason I do not give out plans as some people get excited about building a project and get hurt because they don't learn the needed skills.
    So I hope you can benefit from my pictures as well as from others on the web. CAP.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captainleeward For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Sep 7, 2017), PJs (Dec 28, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    While browsing through the 50 best builds I happened to re read this thread. In setting up my water tower I kept thinking that there was something else I wanted to include in the system it will be connected to my well plus have the ability to be refilled from hauled water and hopefully in the future to include a runoff collection from the roof. But that left in my mind at least one more essential method of collecting water it wasn't until the other night while watching a news segment on hurricane Harvey showing a commercial water from air generator that I was reminded of Captainleeward's simple little water generator. Any filtration system is what it is and whit the inclusion or activated charcoal, sand filters, fiber media, solar evaporation& recovery systems, Ozone generators and UV filters almost any water can be made potable.
    With my proposed 1000 to 1500 gallon storage just a small unit like this will be a neat addition and added plus is the size will be comparable with my existing solar array and battery storage I plan on powering my system with.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Captainleeward (Sep 8, 2017), mwmkravchenko (Dec 12, 2021), Paul Jones (Sep 9, 2017)

Thanks

Captainleeward's Tools
    O Hi Frank how have you been? Your plans seem to have a good foundation with sound principles. Your ideas will serve you well. Good Luck. :O)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Captainleeward For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Dec 12, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I might try a build on it. you say you have more pictures?

Thanks

Captainleeward's Tools
    Hi Grayhounddollie, regarding Atmospheric Water Generator. I have up dated the verbiage as best I can I don't have any more photos. best to go on Google to find other diy er's for this build... good luck.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Captainleeward For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Nov 1, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    Is there a market for this sort of thing? I've been playing with absorption/desorption systems and might be able to bang something together.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Greene View Post
    Is there a market for this sort of thing? I've been playing with absorption/desorption systems and might be able to bang something together.
    On small and novelty scales possibly, on large scales unless it can be completely run by solar or thermal energy without the requirement to consume energy to extract the water from the air then it may have a commercial value.
    the heat pump HVAC system I have in my house can produce up to 5 gallons of water per day just from the condensation my dogs and cats love the cold water emanating from the drain as I allow it to collect in a small wading pool on hot days they will play in it for hours on end
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information