Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ??AUTO GATE OPENER WITH ELECTRIC MOTOR

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Yup, CL is the first step in any low budget engineering quest. It's too bad so many folks are scrapping wire because I used to find big runs of romex in remodels and teardowns. Not anymore. Good luck with your hunt for wire. In one of the picks it looks like your power and phone wires overhead.....too bad there's not a box to tap into closer to the gate.

I see my buddy PJ's is lurking this thread. I'm just the idiot recon, he's the engineer. If we get in too deep a yogurt the Wiz will get us out

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    I know. I wish I could tap right to the power there.

Back in the day, my uncle somehow had the county run power to his deer camp! He knew lots people. I miss him.

I will be tapping into the power at my well house. That starts me at the edge of the woods.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    hi my advice would be to convert your gate into a sliding gate as they are far easier to automate ideally you need a 12v or 24v
    motor with deep cycle batteries running the motor and solar power topping the batteries up . if you can't get a low voltage motor you may have to purchase an inverter. good luck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to phil-s For This Useful Post:

LESHUNT (Jan 24, 2016)

Thanks
    Hey phil. My lot is a "flag lot". The property lines are the fences on both sides. You cant tell the distance that well in picture. With the current gate I have, there is not enough room on either side. Although I lease the property next to mine(on the left), its a year to year lease. And the property is for sale. I made a couple stops this morning after duck hunting and picked up about another 100' feet of wire. I'm getting there. I bet I can get a garage door opener FOC too. I know several builders and remodel guys.

But thought of a really (insert your own adjective) idea. C-Bag this goes back to trying to use my electric motors I have. For the remote control, what if I used "The Clapper" And somehow maybe muffle it so it takes to honks of the horn to turn on and two to turn off. ???!!!!! Now that's thinking outside the box!

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    I'm watching this one with interest. I put in a simple tube gate at the end of the driveway this summer. We love the gate, just not opening and closing it.

Thanks
    You keep watching GodFather. lol. I'm about to go use my range finder and determine how much wire I need. I know I'm a newbe, but I am very motivated once I make up my mind to get it done. Stay tunned.......................

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by LESHUNT View Post
    Hey phil. My lot is a "flag lot". The property lines are the fences on both sides. You cant tell the distance that well in picture. With the current gate I have, there is not enough room on either side. Although I lease the property next to mine(on the left), its a year to year lease. And the property is for sale. I made a couple stops this morning after duck hunting and picked up about another 100' feet of wire. I'm getting there. I bet I can get a garage door opener FOC too. I know several builders and remodel guys.

But thought of a really (insert your own adjective) idea. C-Bag this goes back to trying to use my electric motors I have. For the remote control, what if I used "The Clapper" And somehow maybe muffle it so it takes to honks of the horn to turn on and two to turn off. ???!!!!! Now that's thinking outside the box!
    The Clapper, LOL! Ever used one? They leave off the last part of the ad where the old lady claps and nothing happens over and over....then finally gets up and throws it out the window

Thanks
    I have never used one, but they are in every CVS and Walgreens I think. Worth a try. But I'm a ways out till that stage.

############ Maybe someone reading this has one. And can give me the 411 on it.##############??????????

I never made it to measure the length of wire I need. Got sidetracked. Went and set some coyote traps. My projects get more attention after February.

Thanks
    One thrift store today. 200 more feet 10 bucks.

I did measure today. uggg.. It is 1300 feet. Got a ways to go. Unlessssssssss I just thought about my neighbor. If he would be willing to help (by help I mean use his power) that would cut the distance in half! 50/50 chance of that happening

Thanks
    as of today i have about 1000 feet of wire. I have was given a lead on a garage door opener. Turns out the guy has two. one working and one not working. he is not sure witch is witch. Said I could have both for free. Im getting closer day by day!

Thread Information