Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ??AUTO GATE OPENER WITH ELECTRIC MOTOR

Thanks

??AUTO GATE OPENER WITH ELECTRIC MOTOR

Ok, new member, first post. This is my existing gate. I do not want to spend the money for a Mighty Mule gate opener. I have several electric motors I can use. The one thing I imagine I will have to purchase is some type of solar power device(unless I can build that also?). I may have to re-design the gate altogether (don't want to do that, but I can). You may notice the gate itself is from an old awning. Soooooo, ideas????????????

??AUTO GATE OPENER WITH ELECTRIC MOTOR-gate.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by LESHUNT; Jan 19, 2016 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks
    I failed to mention my driveway is 1/4 mile long.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Welcome LESHUNT.

It's a little hard to help out when there's limited info. Like what kind of stuff do have laying around? Are you wanting remote control? With the gate open, it's kinda hard to see what it looks like. We are a lot about trying to repurpose so it sounds like you're off to a good start using an old truss.
    Last edited by C-Bag; Jan 21, 2016 at 09:16 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 23, 2016)

Thanks
    Attachment 7643

I will send more tomorrow. Thank you

Thanks
    ??AUTO GATE OPENER WITH ELECTRIC MOTOR-got-.jpg??AUTO GATE OPENER WITH ELECTRIC MOTOR-gotthistoo.jpg

sorry if they are sideways

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Good pix, much clearer and I noted you edited the original post. So the motors you have are DC?

Also looked up Mighty Mule and it certainly looks like you could get away with the 350 model. But while its $300 it doesn't include the battery and solar panel, not to mention an enclosure for the battery. It also looks like you are going to need a pole or some more of the trusses to elevate your solar panel to get above the trees. It would be best if the pole could be retracted as you'll need to clean the panel in order to keep it efficient.

For me the hard part would be the wireless controls, which the mule already has sorted and is made to run on 12v and it already has the safety controls. It could be done with a Arduino but you've got to make a program. Don't know if that's any help.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

LESHUNT (Jan 22, 2016), PJs (Jan 23, 2016)

Thanks
    Hey C-Bag. I just very grateful for you taking time to respond with some suggestions. Thank you so much. I've opened and closed that gate for 10 years. I'm intend to see this project through. I'll get the power to it even if it's with extension cords. You may think that ridiculous but I've done it before.

I ran probably 600' of coax cable (got at yard sale for10$) and multiple extension cords(hit every thrift store) so I could have a live feed camera on my deer food plot. There were other logistics involved I overcame. That was ten years.

I have an idea what to use for the swing arm and I'm thinking of maybe using a large threaded rod which the motor will spin. But thinking now that won't work because the motor does not have reverse. Ehhh. Gotta run. So remote is focus now.

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    LESHUNT, my idea of tackling a project is finding the biggest problems and seeing if I have the stuff laying around to address it with. If not, what's the cheapest thing I can adapt, then give in if I have to. I found this:

Chamberlain 1/2 HP Chain Drive Garage Door Opener-PD220 - The Home Depot

it's interesting in that it's chain drive and now that you are talking about running power that helps solve another problem. Your wireless and safety switches are there....and it's less than $90. I'd be hard pressed to come up with the controllers etc much less the gear motor etc. for that price, much less the wireless and safety eyes. Just a thought.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

LESHUNT (Jan 22, 2016), PJs (Jan 23, 2016)

Thanks
    Great idea! I will keep you posted. Going to take a quick look at Craigs list for the garage door opener. I can handle a 100 bucks. Going to work on power first. Will take a few days. STAY TUNED.....................

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LESHUNT For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Jan 23, 2016), PJs (Jan 23, 2016)

Thanks
    First update. I made a once around trip on my property. And came up with maybe two hundred feet of wire/cords. Next stop is my folks place. Should get a couple hundred feet out of that trip. It's a start.

Thread Information