Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Axle bearing install tool

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Pretty sure there is a bolt pattern in the block for a housing to be mounted on. If it were me I would look into making an overhung load adapter like this
    Axle bearing install tool-overhung-load-adapter.jpg
    OK kind of hastily drawn the flanged housing would bolt to the engine the coupling with 6 holes would be keyed to the crank and fit inside of the housing or hub the bearings would fit the hub and the pulley shown is a overhung load adapter for a 1.5" crank shaft the pulley is 5.5" OD the bearings are 65 mm ID 85 mm OD use 3 or 4 a seal could be used in the pulley to the hub if open bearings were used. If that were to be the case then a seal between the coupling and the hub housing would be required as well as a gasket between the coupling and the pulley and a grease zerk installed in the coupler

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Jul 17, 2018 at 09:40 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Nice drawing Frank. Looks like you've done this before.

What complicates the V-belt drive, is there is already a hydraulic pump stand mounted to the engine. Motor shaft was fairly long, so they used a Browning wedge type pulley for the 3 v-belt shiv. Then a spider type jaw coupler that drives a hydraulic pump used for the loader arms and bucket. It is a horrible mess. Someone welded a pulley to one of the jaw couplers, and mounted a Delco alternator, as they burned out the original charger system. As well the original fuel pump failed so they put a metal plate over the opening, and installed a general purpose electric pump. But just buying a starter pinion gear was a jaw dropper, and that was when they were supporting the engine.

The motor shaft is 1-7/16 with a 5/16 keyway (might be 3/8 key).
    If skid steers of the Bobcat variety weren't so expensive, I would scrap this old antique, as it needs a new bucket. Then again, just leave it alone as I'm never going to use it for heavy work.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I might have done it once
    If you wanted to build an overhung load adapter such as or similar to what I have drawn it would be no step to add additional drives extending out from the shaft coupler just a matter of machining a slight counter bore to the crankshaft coupler and machining an extension shaft to go from there which would have the same bolt pattern then you could have a pulley for the ALT and direct couple the hyd pump to that if you needed

If you decide the whole skid steer is not worth the effort don't scrap it I'll get a friend of mine to come and pick it from you. couldn't pay quite as much as scrap weight probably since I'll have to pay his fuel unless he has a load coming near your area.
    I'd rework it and possibly re power it with something I have here. like a little 902 Kubota

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information