Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BAD NEWS

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools

BAD NEWS

Just went to use.com where my photos are currently hosted and got this message...

----------------------------------------

Use.com is no longer accepting uploads.

The site will be closing effective September 20th, 2019

We will continue to serve images until September 4th, 2019

Registered members will be able to request a download of ALL their currently hosted images and videos through September 15th, 2019. Click for details

Your profile page will be available until September 20th, 2019 or the expiration date of your processed archive download, whichever is latest.

------------------------------------

Deja Vu all over again; first Photobucket, now this.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 30, 2019)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,795 Times in 11,326 Posts
    That is bad news, but we've been preparing for it since the photobucket debacle, by regularly caching externally-hosted images that people post on this forum. Anyone can access cached versions of their externally-hosted images, like this:

Code:
    https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/forumcache/36703-3.jpg
    The long number is their postid, followed by a hyphen, followed by a number indicating the order of the image in their post. Here's an example of a cached image from post 36703, of the third image from that post:

Code:
    https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/forumcache/36703-3.jpg
    So, for example, for your recent 0.22 pellet dispenser post, we've cached the two use.com images you posted here:

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/f...e/140047-1.jpg

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/f...e/140047-2.jpg

We have 507 use.com images cached. If you like, I can just write a quick script to find-and-replace the use.com image references in your posts with our cached image references.

I have a huge cache of YouTube videos that people posted too, per your original suggestion about this.

Attached is a csv file containing matchups of use.com images and our cached versions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Aug 27, 2019), jdurand (Aug 31, 2019), mklotz (Aug 28, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Aug 30, 2019)

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    After the shock wore off last night I remembered that you were caching images in case this happened again. All I can say is a huge THANK YOU for your foresight in doing that and the effort to do it.

"We have 507 use.com images cached. If you like, I can just write a quick script to find-and-replace the use.com image references in your posts with our cached image references."

Perhaps the best thing is to let things stew for a while. It's unlikely but conceivable that they may reconsider or the images are picked up by another server. In the all too likely event that something like that doesn't happen, then I will ask you to write the script.

This is very important to me. Many of my tools shown here on HMT are not documented anywhere else and the photos are essential to the documentation.

Had use.com asked for a sensible amount of money (unlike photobucket) for their services, I would have paid it. Ultimately, all free services are going to disappear from the web; paying non-extortionate service fees at least suggests that the service will stay around for a while.

The suddenness of use.com's shut down, along with the absence of any explanation or appeal for payment, is puzzling. What could have precipitated such a quick and drastic action?
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I have forever used external hard drives as a means of back up. The problem with them is like a drive in the computer is eventually something happens to them.
    Right now I have 4 that have had something happen to them Sd cards also have their problems USB thumb drives the same thing. CDs are obsolete and don't hold much data DVDs were a little better but newer programs won't fit on a DVD. Do they came up with a duel layerDVD holds 8.5 gb and a 2 sided use can get up to 17 gb.
    My DVDRW is not capable of 2 sided writing.
    I just found some 25 GB layered DVDs and 2 sided ones go to 50 gb. I'm hoping my DVDRW can write to the 25 gb single sided because I just ordered a pack of 50
    Really thinking about converting my computer to a digital solid state hard drive as well
    Last edited by Frank S; Aug 28, 2019 at 09:13 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    You'll be astonished at how much an SSD speeds up your computer Frank.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    You'll be astonished at how much an SSD speeds up your computer Frank.
    Yeah I know I really don't classify it as a computer though because it is a laptop. albeit when it was new it was top shelf. I7 core 8 processors 2.8MHZ 16gb DRR3 more of a workstation than a simple high end gaming device and by today's standards it still holds its own against many on the market but now where near what my desktops were I am wanting to assemble a new desktop one day with I9 core quad 8 processors 125 gb ram 5.0 MHZ workstation but the mother board is going to cost around 2 grand or more Don't have that kind of spare change and not even sure I could ever justify assembling such a monstrosity being retired and unwilling to rejoin society
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    That's better than my old "entertainment laptop" (which I'm still using) that I bought to prototype Citrix installations on VMs. I could run up to 8 VM servers on it simultaneously (slow but it proved the concept). I added a real keyboard, mouse and monitor so that I could use it without a lot of effort. I like laptops because they have a built in UPS and bad things don't happen if the power goes out.

I once went to a meeting of the Curmudgeon Society but no one else showed up.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Just an update on switching over these images. The script is ready to go, and I tested it out on our dev server. Keep in mind that we only cache the exact image posted on the forum. Most of your use.com images are 600x450, which we've cached. They usually link to a slightly larger version stored at use.com, usually around 800x600, which we have NOT cached. So, the script removes the link around the images, as well as the accompanying "Click to enlarge image" text.

The only issues I found were with these three posts, which look like they had the use.com images removed previously:

Pot chuck
    Wobbler Steam or Air Engine

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Just an update on switching over these images. The script is ready to go, and I tested it out on our dev server. Keep in mind that we only cache the exact image posted on the forum. Most of your use.com images are 600x450, which we've cached. They usually link to a slightly larger version stored at use.com, usually around 800x600, which we have NOT cached. So, the script removes the link around the images, as well as the accompanying "Click to enlarge image" text.

The only issues I found were with these three posts, which look like they had the use.com images removed previously:

Pot chuck
    Downsizing the images will be just fine. Anyone who wants more detail can contact me directly and I will supply copies of the originals in their full size, usually a few megabytes.

I did some consolidation of the photos of my engines and forgot about the three posts you tagged. I've gone back to each of the three and inserted the new, correct url to reach the intended photo.

Thanks again for all your support on this.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    OK, those three look good now. Let me know when you're ready for me to switch the images over.

Thread Information