Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Ball Turner.

Thanks

th62's Tools

Ball Turner.

A couple of ball turners.

Number One:

I wanted a tool I could just mount in the tool post rather than one that sits on top of the cross slide. I also wanted one that sat behind the work so I could get a better view, although it can be used at front as well, you just have to remove the handle, change the cutting head to the other end of the base and re attach the handle.

Once mounted on the tool post, the compound is set parallel to the bed and to the rear of the cross slide. After measuring the length of the cutting bit to give the right diameter ball, wind the cross slide forward until the cutting tip is central to the work and lock off the cross slide - this in effect sets the cutting tool height

Using the carriage bring the tool up to touch the beginning of the work and lock off then wind the compound out a little and start cutting, advancing the compound with each pass until you reach the front off the work again, hey presto – Balls!

I also tried it on a piece of acrylic to make a convex lens, that also worked well. I set the diameter limit at 50mm, I can’t imagine wanting bigger balls than that!

In the design stage I realized it did have one peculiarity; but, I decided I could live with that peculiarity if the trade off was a tool that was so simple and easy to use. That peculiarity: it only cuts round balls because the height is set.

Number Two:

Buoyed on by the success of the welded together ball turner I constructed, I made a second from solid stock. This one has a ball limit of 60mm and is adjusted via the cutting head rather than by the cutting tool thus keeping the tool overhang to a minimum. This one will cut oval as well as round balls.

The base was made from a piece of 50x25 and milled down on the lathe as was the pivot/cutting head support. The hand wheel was made from a piece of 6mm plate, the cutting head from an off cut from the 50x25 and the cutting head slide from a piece of 16mm round. No welding on this one,

It works well, the hand wheel making it easier to use than a lever. The wheel could be larger but I was limited by the size stock I had on hand.

Used in much the same way as the first, if your preference is for ovals simply move the tool up or down in the tool post

Ball Turner.-1.jpgBall Turner.-2.jpgBall Turner.-3.jpgBall Turner.-4.jpgBall Turner.-6.jpgBall Turner.-7.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ball Turner.-11.jpg   Ball Turner.-12.jpg   Ball Turner.-13.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by th62; Oct 9, 2015 at 07:09 PM.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to th62 For This Useful Post:

almarghi (Jul 25, 2018), baja (Aug 24, 2023), bigtrev8xl (Mar 31, 2018), Bullet500 (Sep 1, 2022), Canyonman44 (Sep 2, 2022), Christophe Mineau (Nov 12, 2015), Home-PC (Jun 4, 2020), jere (Nov 13, 2015), Jon (Oct 9, 2015), kbalch (Oct 10, 2015), lassab999 (Feb 28, 2024), metalsmith1952 (Dec 23, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Feb 2, 2022), nova_robotics (Dec 27, 2021), Paul Jones (Nov 12, 2015), PJs (Oct 12, 2015), Ralphxyz (Apr 18, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Mar 31, 2018), trevor_60_r (Mar 16, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks th62! We've added your Tool Post Ball Turner to our Lathe Accessories category, as well as to your builder page: th62's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by DIYer; Oct 10, 2015 at 02:22 AM.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks th62! We've added your Ball Turner to our Machining category, as well as to your builder page: th62's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    th62,

I like the solid stock design and looks easy to use with the wheel for rotations. How deep of a cut per pass do you use for cutting a radius in cold rolled steel bars?

Thanks for sharing this,
    Paul Jones

Thanks

th62's Tools
    I have no idea actually, I tend to just wind it back and forward with light cuts until I get close to size then make the final cuts in a more slow and controlled way.

Thanks

jere's Tools
    I have been thinking how useful a ball turner would be recently, and this is a great one! Thanks for posting it up. Doesnt look like it would be too hard to make some on a larger scale also.

Thanks
    th62;
    Would love to be able to try your lil creation out and make one for myself, with permissions of course, are there perhaps any technical drawing or even scribbles that would give dimensions etc? materials used and such?

Thanks

th62's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Charron63 View Post
    th62;
    Would love to be able to try your lil creation out and make one for myself, with permissions of course, are there perhaps any technical drawing or even scribbles that would give dimensions etc? materials used and such?
    Sorry mate, I do everything off the top of my head, never work from drawings. Sizing would depend on your lathe and your work envelope.

Thanks
    th62
    Nice work, always nice to see someone else likes ball turning. How do you cut the chuck side of the ball? I have two ball turners and the one I like the best came from an old hand that past years ago. Steve Bediar what a special person to go too soon. You can check out his web site it is full of great upgrade and toys for the shop. The ball turner is here: Steve Bedair's 9x20 Lathe Site

Nelson

Thanks

th62's Tools
    A bit late, but yes, I'm familiar with Bedair's site. My first lathe was a 9x20, I graduated to an AL-300, then back to a 9x20. They are a great little lathe.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information