Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Bandsaw hitting a nail - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,248 Times in 9,724 Posts

Bandsaw hitting a nail - GIF

Bandsaw hitting a nail. Are there metal detectors that can penetrate deep through logs? It would be a great addition to this machine.

Previously:

Ship Saw - photo and videos

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Jan 15, 2019), Scotty1 (Jan 15, 2019), Seedtick (Jan 15, 2019)

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    At that speed and size of blade I expect that was more than a mere nail...also that's a really expensive 'boinginginging'; I expect the blade is bent to the point of uselessness, and yes I seem to recall some sort of metal detector tool for this purpose.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I have heard stories from Dad about seeing what happens when a circular saw-mill hit a horseshoe inside a log. I guess teeth come off the blade and become deadly missiles.

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    I think it was more than a nail - you can see how the cut was pulled progressively to the left, and that would have increased forces on the blade, and pulled the blade away from its guides.

JTG
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I don't think this was necessarily the saw hitting something in the log, I think it was a blade tracking issue leading to a crash. That's a twin vertical bandsaw (like this one), used to square off both sides of a log at the same time, and the right-side blade starts tracking to the center around the 3 second mark. I don't know about the first tiny spark, but I think the fireworks are the blade hitting the trough/feed chain under the log.

Here's one working properly:

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JTG For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Jan 15, 2019), Moldyjim (Oct 19, 2021), PJs (Jan 16, 2019)

Thanks
    it may have been a thick nail/ spike driven into tree by the eco warriors, who hate tree cutting,,they love doing things like this..

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think it's probably both of the mentioned scenarios. It looks like it nicked the blade at about 03 sec causing the blade to deflect as a result of the dulling caused by the nail (or whatever it was). The blade, when it tracked off, hit the conveyor chain as evidenced by the sparks come from underneath the log. Also notice the sparks from the left blade as the broken right blade contacts it. It would be easy enough to add metal detectors to the process to stop the conveyor before catastrophic blade damage occurs or a simple limit switch on the blade in case it deflected too far - simple. I would think a few sets of blades would pay for the equipment then you'd be money ahead - Labor + materials + downtime + not getting other things done while someone makes repairs = whole lotta cost!

My luck would be replacing both blades then the very next log having another nail!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information