Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Bandsaw throat plate

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools

Bandsaw throat plate

To save milling of contours [profiling] nothing beats a vertical bandsaw. In small cuts, throat plate needs to be flush, and with slot just wider than blade. At this instant flush a bigger issue.
    After visually marking 4 equidistant spots, 2 magnets provided a Vee block like locator fixture. Quick work, #29 drill for 8-32 set screws.
    Bandsaw throat plate-throatplate.jpg
    Don't use stainless screws, unless purchasing length compatible for plate thickness and depth of recess. They're difficult to shorten and chamfer new corner of thread.
    A simple matter, adjusts screws to be in an even plane with saw table. I recommend a block with a fairly sharp corner to verify flush condition.

Slot width I can't remedy immediately. That will be a pressure plate set-up in the lathe, for OD [+/-.002] and narrow chamfer of bottom edge. Probably 2nd use of improved saw will be roughing out it's own new plate[s]. Then after turning and scribing centerline, it'll saw the slots. Aluminum seems favored for throat plates, less potential damage to blades. I prefer steel, as generating less frictional interruption between table and plate. Some saws have a loose dowel hole to keep plate in line with blade.

Below is tonyfoale's plate; far more correct execution than original you see modified above. While circular plates are infinitely more common, a rectangle or square is superior. Round is just a manufacturing convenience. Why on earth the plate is so widely slotted is beyond me.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Mar 26, 2018 at 08:08 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Mar 25, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    On the bandsaw that I recently built and featured here a couple of weeks back. I made the throat plate hole as a corner rounded rectangle, and made a matching plate. I fed the plate in by hand and let the blade cut its own space. This photo was taken after the saw has seen a fair bit of use and you can see that the blade has not attacked the plate.

Bandsaw throat plate-table-06.jpg Click thumbnail for full size.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Mar 26, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Toolmaker51! We've added your Bandsaw Throat Plate to our Bandsaws category,
    as well as to your builder page: Toolmaker51's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks tonyfoale! We've added your Bandsaw Throat Plate to our Bandsaws category,
    as well as to your builder page: tonyfoale's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information