Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Marking Fluids: Dykem v New Kid on the Block

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools

Battle of the Marking Fluids: Dykem v New Kid on the Block

Like many machinists and metal workers I have been using Dykem Marking Fluid for years.

My very good friend and co YouTube creator Dimitris who runs the JimmysCanal channel has spent a long time developing his own marking fluid. Why? Because Dykem is unavailable or exorbitant in his native Greece. He sent me a sample of his fluid a few weeks ago and I promised to try it on my projects.
    I decided to make this video for two reasons.
    1. To do a comparison between his, ARC Marking Fluid and Dykem
    2. If it was good enough I thought it was a brilliant way to help a fellow creator and machinist to raise a little cash.

He doesn't want to use Patreon or partnerships. He just creates and invents. So maybe my fellow machinists and metalworkers might see this as a good way of supporting a colleague.

NB. In the first instance this fluid will only be available in the UK and in Greece as it is very difficult to ship flammable liquids internationally. Secondly, it is not available yet. We are waiting to see what the level of support will be. If you are interested, please leave a comment here or on the JimmysCanal channel. If we get a few takers we will find of way to take payment and ship to you. Thank you so much for watching and we really look forward to your support. Finally, I am not getting paid for this. All profits will go to JimmysCanal to support his amazing work.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to anthonyget For This Useful Post:

asterix (Feb 9, 2021), Claudio HG (Feb 13, 2021), editor@glue-it.com (Feb 11, 2021), gumser (Feb 10, 2021), nova_robotics (Feb 9, 2021), olderdan (Feb 10, 2021), Philip Davies (Feb 12, 2021), sabre-40 (Feb 10, 2021), Scotsman Hosie (Feb 13, 2021), Slim-123 (Feb 9, 2021), tonyfoale (Feb 10, 2021), volodar (Feb 10, 2021)

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    I'd be more interested in seeing how to make it, for other countries

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 616 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    The real question is will it cost less than inkjet printer ink? I'm sure a healthy profit could be made at 50% the cost of Dykem.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Feb 12, 2021)

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post
    I'd be more interested in seeing how to make it, for other countries
    Hi, I totally get that. for the time being I am trying to help a friend who has spent a lot of time developing this for whom a few extra bucks could make a big difference.
    Knowing him however, I am sure he will be happy to publish the formula in due course. Thanks for the interest though.

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    The real question is will it cost less than inkjet printer ink? I'm sure a healthy profit could be made at 50% the cost of Dykem.
    Thanks for that. Dykem I am sure have massive economy of scale in what they do. When you are doing it like this, the margins are really not that great. We still have to work out how much exactly it will cost me to make in the UK where costs are far higher than Greece.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 708 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
    So, we do blatant advertising of unavailable unproven goods?
    It suits me. I look at it like I am being shown something interesting and that is why I am on this forum. So my thanks to Anthony. I would order some but I am in Spain so out of the supply zones.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Feb 13, 2021)

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools
    Thank you Tonyfoale. Appreciate your words. I hope maybe one day we will find a way to ship more widely in Europe at least.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 708 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyget View Post
    Thank you Tonyfoale. Appreciate your words. I hope maybe one day we will find a way to ship more widely in Europe at least.
    In non-virus times we would expect a few visits a year from relatives in England and it would be easy for them to bring some but one day we will be back to normal.

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    In non-virus times we would expect a few visits a year from relatives in England and it would be easy for them to bring some but one day we will be back to normal.
    I know. It is a sad state of affairs but maybe things are looking up. Let's hope. Take care.

Thanks
    Hi Anthony. This looks interesting. I live in the U.K. and would like to give it a try. Please let me know when/if this becomes available.

Thread Information