Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Bearing Taper Sleeve Removal Tool

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools

Bearing Taper Sleeve Removal Tool

Large SKF/FAG bearings have these awful taper sleeves that need to be released from the surface of shafts with oil pressure. Unfortunately the threaded hole in which to inject the oil is within a few mm off the surface of the shaft, and there is generally no way to get a conventional fitting in there to inject the oil.

I made this mockup fitting for a client who has a large piece of equipment with no way to access the bearing taper sleeve using the manufacturer provided tool. It's stupid, but it's a thing that might be useful to someone, so here it is. Maybe it'll help someone in a similar situation.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

emu roo (Oct 17, 2021), Jon (Oct 22, 2021), Sleykin (Oct 24, 2021), uv8452 (Oct 19, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks nova_robotics! We've added your Bearing Taper Sleeve Removal Tool to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: nova_robotics's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    I can't picture this oil injection tapered thing, and reading the documentation is no help whatsoever. Is there a video that explains these?

I grok the concept of using oil pressure to expand the bearing for removal or installation; I just don't understand how they are doing it.

Thanks
    The bearing has an internal taper that mates to the shaft or a tapered collar on the shaft depending on the application. There is a hydraulic installation tool that screws onto the shaft or collar and pushes the bearing into place locking it on the shaft or collar.

To release the bearing oil is injected at very high pressure between the shaft or collar and the bearing stretching the bearing and causing hydrostatic pressure to float the bearing off of the locking surface.

If you install SKF's software tool for spec'ing the bearings it has animated graphics that are easier to understand.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Unkle Fuzzy For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Oct 22, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Greene View Post
    I can't picture this oil injection tapered thing, and reading the documentation is no help whatsoever. Is there a video that explains these?

I grok the concept of using oil pressure to expand the bearing for removal or installation; I just don't understand how they are doing it.

Bearing Taper Sleeve Removal Tool-download_20141012_095852.jpeg

Bearing Taper Sleeve Removal Tool-download_20141012_095858.jpeg

This particular one is F. A. G. (not sure if the filter will catch that). There are some drilled passages in the taper itself. You inject oil into the small side of the taper, which is then forced between the taper and shaft to hydraulically float it and break the friction fit against the shaft surface. They usually let go with a bang. For some unknown reason (possibly to force you to buy their special tool) the oil is injected on the SMALL side of the taper, which makes it essentially impossible to get anything in there. They COULD have drilled the hole on the thick side of the taper where it would still be extremely tight but you'd at least have a better chance of getting a fitting in there.

Their tool is stupid, it's basically just a small length of steel tubing, maybe 4" in length, which is M6 threaded at one end (so it can thread into the taper) and some sort of more conventional hydraulic fitting on the other end. You thread it in, bend it up a bit and attach a Portapower or whatever to release the taper. Their tool still won't fit in most situations, including this one. It's just a hateful design all around.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Unkle Fuzzy View Post
    The bearing has an internal taper that mates to the shaft or a tapered collar on the shaft depending on the application. There is a hydraulic installation tool that screws onto the shaft or collar and pushes the bearing into place locking it on the shaft or collar.

To release the bearing oil is injected at very high pressure between the shaft or collar and the bearing stretching the bearing and causing hydrostatic pressure to float the bearing off of the locking surface.

If you install SKF's software tool for spec'ing the bearings it has animated graphics that are easier to understand.
    Yup pretty much. Sorry I had already replied by the time I spotted your post, but yes, that's essentially how the taper works. What we were dealing with was impossibly small space due to a bearing that's almost butted right up to something on the shaft. There's no possible way to get the OEM tool in there. The design just sucks all around.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information