Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Brake checking motorcyclist gets instant karma - GIF

Thanks
    And just who surmised that it was the biker's fault? Although I don't agree at all passing that car with too close proximity, maybe the car sped up, I've had lots do that to me. As for the title 'Brake checking"...who decided that he did that, no brake lights visible.
    As a biker for almost 50 years, although I've not "seen it all", I have seen most of it & almost automatically EVERYONE assumes it's the bikers fault. Most old bikers are more aware of their surroundings than most people.....maybe that's why they're old?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wildwilly For This Useful Post:

NeiljohnUK (Dec 5, 2022)

Thanks
    Brake lights come on at 0:07 and the nose of the car dips.

2000 Tool Plans
    Jim

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Look at the car in the left lane at 0:04. That car applied brakes because another bike swerved from the middle lane into the left lane. The bike in the video was one of a pack of 5 bikes, all of them spread out and playing with traffic. There are experienced road riders like Willy and then there are others that . . .
    Last edited by Saltfever; Dec 5, 2022 at 02:19 AM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgeteer View Post
    I met an idiot like that at an intersection, today. Fortunately, for him it didn't come to blows, or damage.
    Do you mean unfortunately!

A couple of years ago I had a guy cut me off just like this. He was so close I could read the tag on his girl friends corduroy jeans. The tag said Levis. This was going down hill on a significant slope and me in a pickup, the only reason we didn't collide is that he accelerated hard away. About 3 minutes later I'm pretty sure I found the two of them spread across the on ramp to a highway with at least two other cars involved. Both the guy in this movie and the guy that cut me off where idiots.

Dave

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wizard69 For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Dec 5, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    If you watch carefully, the biker's helmet gets larger in the video just after moving in front of the car.
    Also, relative speeds at passing show the cycle moving faster than the car and still accelerating as it moved in front. If the cycle had stopped accelerating and stayed constant speed, the car would not have hit the bike that soon (even if the car sped up). Car does not show any tilting to additional acceleration until as the brake lights come on.

I am sure any modeling would show in this case, bikers fault.

Others? depend on the situation.
    Last edited by joeljensen; Dec 5, 2022 at 11:29 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to joeljensen For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Dec 5, 2022)

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Upon looking at the scene more carefully it is possible there is another reason for the accident. If you notice, the freeway is diverging and exit 214 is to the left. Three of his buddies take exit 214 in a timely manner and start to accelerate around the turn. A 4th rider barely makes the exit in time and ends up entering 214 dangerously on the right shoulder of that road! It is quite possible the rider of interest was making the pass just as he saw all of his buddies taking a completely different freeway. In a fleeting second he forgot what he was doing and focused on how to get across all the traffic to follow his buddies. Of course, a very stupid mistake but maybe not a premeditated brake-check. YMMV :-)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information