Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Bread guillotine - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts

Bread guillotine - GIF

Bread guillotine. I believe this is 1950s era. The "RAADVAD" marking refers to a Danish kitchen tool company. Gorgeous tool that positions the loaf perfectly, and I really like that connected bread holding tab at the bottom.

Of course, the bread loaf seen here does seem rather dense. I'm not sure exactly how this would work with a loaf of airy white bread.

However, when I see this beautiful video, and then search Amazon for "bread slicer", these plasti-natural-bamboo gimmicks compel me to entertain analogies about the breakdown of society.

Previously:

Bread loaf wrapping machine GIF
    3D cutting board craze examples
    Cake cutting tools - GIFs and photos
    Japanese noodle cutter - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; Sep 24, 2020 at 01:07 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Captainleeward (May 27, 2018), KustomsbyKent (May 27, 2018), Miloslav (Nov 6, 2019), Moby Duck (May 27, 2018), PJs (May 28, 2018), ranald (May 27, 2018), Seedtick (May 27, 2018)

Thanks
    Very few people realise that the best way to slice bread, and minimise crumbs while slicing is th use a very, very sharp smooth edged knife. Try it, the results will surprise you!

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1966 For This Useful Post:

Komo (May 27, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    I just cut some vienna loaf bread for randon sized toast for breakfast. I guess either could remove a fingertip (unless "saw stop" type engineer could alter our brains & guillotines). Of course chefs curl fingers for blade support: haven't seen them with everyday bread.
    from all the devices for cutting bread it must be a bit like a better mouse trap.

PRETTY TO WATCH. THANKS JON!

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    Nice bread cutter.... :O)

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    I grew up with my mom making home-made bread for the family.... tasted awesome, but she didn't cut it very even.... So I learned from an early age to cut my own slice of bread to get the thickness I wanted with consistency.
    I like slicing up bread.... a proper bread knife with a light smooth serration, and nice even strokes back and forth will get you a nice smooth slice of bread!
    Unfortunately, Mom is getting too old to make the bread much any more... It was particularly good for Texas style toast. Also, fresh toasted with butter and brown sugar, yummy!

Pretty sweet linkage on that bread slicing machine that Jon showed.... The other ones on Amazon are just a waste of money.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 28, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Growing up every morning was a treat at our house at least while my Grandmother was still alive.
    I remember there was always 10 to 15 people at the breakfast table so Grandma made biscuits pancakes most mornings but at least 2 or 3 times a week it was loaf days. OK pancakes are pancakes hers were always great but the only thing this side of heaven that could displace her big old cathead biscuits was a loaf of her bread. fresh and hot straight out of the oven. Forget slicing it just rear off a chunk and eat it while still steaming hot.Add butter or anything else if you thought you needed but my favorite way was to just eat it as it was. After all the loaves for the day were baked there was usually some dough left over that got patted and stretched out into a flat pizza shape then pan fried she called it her version of Indian fry bread 1 of my uncles called it boat bread because that was what the cook on a ship he used to crew on made instead of loaves. No matter the name it was mouth wateringly good
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 28, 2018), ranald (May 28, 2018)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    eBay to the rescue. And my faith in humanity is, at least temporarily, restored. Mostly $50-$200, with some rarer models over $300.

Also important to note how these slicers tilt the loaf, so that the blade first contacts a top loaf corner. The Amazon garbage gimmicks are all standard vertical-style slicers. These make perfect sense for bagels, which are resistant to crushing. But for bread, this strategy invites smushing. Most of them also force you to conform to a uniform slice size standard.

x2 what Frank S said. There's a reason that shared fellowship among people is referred to as "breaking bread", and not "cutting bread into perfectly uniform although slightly-smushed slices with a gimmicky bamboo gadget".

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 28, 2018), ranald (May 28, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    x2 X2 what Frank S said. There's a reason that shared fellowship among people is referred to as "breaking bread", and not "cutting bread into perfectly uniform although slightly-smushed slices with a gimmicky bamboo gadget".
    Roger that, but my favorite is tear, butter and sop up...although I do use the dip in oil and balsamic when I'm eating Italian. Mom wasn't great at bread but Gma's biscuits were unmatched...thankfully my wife rocks the breads of all kind in our house and I get to help with the kneading at the holidays and the 10lb batches for bread wreaths.

Good find on the ebay...and by goodness I did have some great bread in Denmark when I was a kid...but the marmalade and soft eggs Rocked the bread to a whole new universe!

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    German-made Teome bread slicer.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools