Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Brooder Temperature Control

Thanks

jdurand's Tools

Brooder Temperature Control

This is from the early days of using our 3D printer. We've since acquired more printers and gotten a lot more complicated.

The top is held on by screws threaded into nuts. The nuts are slipped into a fitted slot in the side of the bosses in the base.

I engraved the acrylic panel in front of the controller box on my milling machine. Overkill but when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a thumb.

this one isn't showing the picture???
    Temperature_Control-2.JPG

inside the box
    Brooder Temperature Control-temperature_control-1.jpg

Here's a closer look at putting a nut in a slot. Instead of 3D printing, the slot could be made on a mill. This is to hold a temperature probe for the above controller

Brooder Temperature Control-probe_holder-1.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jdurand For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (May 18, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks jdurand! We've added your Temperature Controller to our Electronics category,
    as well as to your builder page: jdurand's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    I've found these STC-1000 temperature controllers on eBay in Fahrenheit temperature display. They have several models, some with a separate cold and heat output relay contacts. Yours appears to use the programmable single output relay.
    I use these with solid state relays as the 10 amp relay I was using to drive a 1200 watt heater did a flame out, that came close to burning the house down. The printed wiring board failed.
    They are great simple controllers. For those folks that don't know about them, they let you set the differential cutin down to .1degree. For AC use they have a time delay that is some models is changable, but the intent is to let the system pressures equalize between cycles.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to metric_taper For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (May 18, 2019)

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    I've found these STC-1000 temperature controllers on eBay in Fahrenheit temperature display. They have several models, some with a separate cold and heat output relay contacts. Yours appears to use the programmable single output relay.
    I use these with solid state relays as the 10 amp relay I was using to drive a 1200 watt heater did a flame out, that came close to burning the house down. The printed wiring board failed.
    They are great simple controllers. For those folks that don't know about them, they let you set the differential cutin down to .1degree. For AC use they have a time delay that is some models is changable, but the intent is to let the system pressures equalize between cycles.
    A couple of notes on these.

They're made by more than one company, they all look more or less the same but aren't. Some are in F, some in C. Some have 0.1 degree resolution, some have 1 degree. Some have two relays, some have one. Some have an alarm beeper.

etc.

An important thing I've found, at least one brand with a switch mode power supply (SMPS) that's marked 100-240V, 50/60Hz has very poor isolation. The temperature sensor is connected to one side of the power mains. !!!! As long as the thin wire to the sensor isn't damaged and the tiny amount of insulation between the sensor leads and the metal tube it's glued into are good, then you don't have an issue. For me I'm sticking with the transformer ones and the DC input ones.

If you can solder, you can convert any of these to DC input by simply bypassing the power supply.

also, you can remove the relay and directly drive a big solid state relay by jumping the relay coil contacts to the output terminals.

Supporting Member Scotsman Hosie's Avatar
    Thanks

Scotsman Hosie's Tools
    [QUOTE=jdurand;133876]...when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a thumb.
    /QUOTE]

Ha – I'm going to remember that one!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information