Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Bulldozer breaking a bolt loose - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,706 Times in 9,871 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

carloski (Oct 17, 2021), nova_robotics (Oct 16, 2021), RetiredFAE (Oct 16, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    These people never cease to amaze me, have they never heard of a torque multiplier? It's not like they are even expensive, and if you're running a piece of machinery requiring high torque, why would you not have one? I run a little 6 ton truck, I have one, and I get the wheels off with no more than about 40ft/lbs from me.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to old kodger For This Useful Post:

clavius (Oct 17, 2021), nova_robotics (Oct 16, 2021), that_other_guy (Oct 16, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I was working with a guy repairing a large track hoe. I got in his tool box for something and found a 1" square drive extension about 6" long. The square drive was sheared off of the end. I had to ask who broke that!!! He told me they were trying to remove a large bolt from something.They had used the bucket on the hoe to turn a 4 foot breaker bar. Broke the extension. As I understand it was a "exciting" moment when it broke.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    I was working with a guy repairing a large track hoe. I got in his tool box for something and found a 1" square drive extension about 6" long. The square drive was sheared off of the end. I had to ask who broke that!!! He told me they were trying to remove a large bolt from something.They had used the bucket on the hoe to turn a 4 foot breaker bar. Broke the extension. As I understand it was a "exciting" moment when it broke.
    Whack the bolt head on the end first.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to old kodger For This Useful Post:

rdarrylb (Oct 16, 2021)

Thanks
    I would say that bolt is a tad to tight. Ha Ha

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old kodger View Post
    These people never cease to amaze me, have they never heard of a torque multiplier? It's not like they are even expensive, and if you're running a piece of machinery requiring high torque, why would you not have one? I run a little 6 ton truck, I have one, and I get the wheels off with no more than about 40ft/lbs from me.
    I don't have a great deal of need for one myself though I have used them a few times. But you are right, torque multipliers are surprisingly inexpensive given the amount of grief that one can save you when doing heavy work like that.

I suppose if you utilize bulldozer in this manner, you can call that a "torque multiplier" of sorts.

Thanks
    Even for my Diesel Pick-up Bought a Torque-Multiplier, when you travel in to the back country as I did, you may need to remove a wheel, to change a tire, this of course never happens in a good location, nor in the best of environments. A simple Torque multiplier makes short work of a sometimes nasty job in a difficult situation. I ended up with an inexpensive Chinese clone, rather than what I wanted, however at the price and the number of times it has been used. It is perfect. I used it once to familiarize my self with its operation, and that is the extent of its use.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Torque multipliers are nice BUT, you still have to have some way to resist the force generated by the reaction arm of the multiplier. That reaction arm must absorb the same force it takes to break the bolt loose. In some situations that arm can rest against an immovable surface. Breaking lug nuts loose is a good example. The ground is right there to absorb that force. Assuming of course that your truck is not on a jack when you break the lugs loose. In other situations, that is not so easily accomplished. Like most tools, very nice when they work, of no value when they don't.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    The one that I have uses the next bolt as the "immovable force". the only effort that must be contained is that applied by the user.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information