Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cable insulation stripper

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 342 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Cable insulation stripper

RGBarber’s cable insulation stripper has prompted me to offer my version. I’ve probably stripped miles with it, although it’s not 100% effective and while most of the time I can pull the insulation off in one pull, it can be annoying when it doesn’t!

Cable insulation stripper-4994eea3-a1ae-4e86-ac7e-2e5bd2f16467.jpg

This is an oak table leg, through which I have drilled different diameter holes to form the drawing dies, and to cut the insulation I have used hardpoint screws,2 each side for each die. Why 4 screws per die? To ensure that the cutter centres on the cable. The screws are very sharp and last a long time.
    This is Mark IV. The first version used Stanley blades, but couldn’t adjust the depth.
    However, adjusting the depth is rather hit and miss. Too hard and the copper comes out too ragged, too light and it doesn’t come out at all.
    Of course, having drawn it through, I have to cut off the first inch to pick at it to get started, ( usually my teeth!!)
    Lengths more than 4 yards often tangle.
    It’s all a bit tedious, but better than burning it.
    I know an engineer who has made a machine to do it, so perhaps there are plans on the Forum.
    !

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

clydeman (Mar 16, 2021), Priemsy (Mar 16, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Davies View Post
    RGSparber’s cable insulation stripper has prompted me to offer my version. I’ve probably stripped miles with it, although it’s not 100% effective and while most of the time I can pull the insulation off in one pull, it can be annoying when it doesn’t!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4994EEA3-A1AE-4E86-AC7E-2E5BD2F16467.jpg 
Views:	580 
Size:	386.1 KB 
ID:	38880

This is an oak table leg, through which I have drilled different diameter holes to form the drawing dies, and to cut the insulation I have used hardpoint screws,2 each side for each die. Why 4 screws per die? To ensure that the cutter centres on the cable. The screws are very sharp and last a long time.
    This is Mark IV. The first version used Stanley blades, but couldn’t adjust the depth.
    However, adjusting the depth is rather hit and miss. Too hard and the copper comes out too ragged, too light and it doesn’t come out at all.
    Of course, having drawn it through, I have to cut off the first inch to pick at it to get started, ( usually my teeth!!)
    Lengths more than 4 yards often tangle.
    It’s all a bit tedious, but better than burning it.
    I know an engineer who has made a machine to do it, so perhaps there are plans on the Forum.
    !
    Philip,

This is a great idea! I really like those screws which are sharp, adjustable, and easily replaceable.

Thanks,

Rick

2000 Tool Plans
    Rick

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

clydeman (Mar 16, 2021), Philip Davies (Mar 16, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Cable Insulation Stripper to our Electrical category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

lassab999 (Oct 12, 2023)

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    The tool continues to evolve. I have updated the article plus here is a video showing how it can cut the sheath of an extension cord both radially and axially.
    Rick

8. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

albertq (Mar 5, 2024), baja (Apr 5, 2021), Beserkleyboy (Apr 5, 2021), brianr47 (Mar 30, 2021), emu roo (Mar 29, 2021), EnginePaul (Mar 31, 2021), fergiomaria (Apr 7, 2023), floyd_kenny (Sep 14, 2022), johncg (Mar 30, 2021), Jon (Mar 29, 2021), lassab999 (Apr 5, 2021), Little Rabbit (Apr 10, 2023), NailByte (Apr 5, 2021), nightride (Apr 5, 2021), nova_robotics (Mar 29, 2021), pheonix_wood (Mar 29, 2021), Priemsy (Apr 4, 2021), Ralphxyz (Apr 4, 2021), rebuilder1954 (Mar 29, 2021), RetiredFAE (Mar 29, 2021), rlm98253 (Apr 4, 2021), Sleykin (Apr 4, 2021), Tonyg (Mar 30, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    THAT IS TOO COOL. BUT WHERE CAN I BUY ONE? NOW?

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hilerioal@outlook.com View Post
    THAT IS TOO COOL. BUT WHERE CAN I BUY ONE? NOW?
    Buy? Well, I did buy the materials and the two screws...
    Rick

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Damm, something else to add to my todo list which I can never find when I actually have some time to do something.

Ralph

Thanks
    Like all of Rick's videos, this is great. One improvement, though. Instead of a flat taper, make it a rediused, tapered trough to help guide the tool along the cable.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks rgsparber! We've added your Cable Slitting Tool to our Electrical category,
    as well as to your builder page: rgsparber's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jimirwin View Post
    Like all of Rick's videos, this is great. One improvement, though. Instead of a flat taper, make it a radiused, tapered trough to help guide the tool along the cable.
    I have found that as my fingers hold the flanks of the tool, that also centers the blade for longitudinal cuts. I didn't do a good job of pointing this out, but the cable goes over the blade and then bends around the vertical part. This causes a slight helical cut which is not a problem.

Rick
    Rick

Thread Information