Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Caddy for Trailer Connector

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools

Caddy for Trailer Connector

1) Start with a 2 piece drill sleeve; [those slick packages for new cutting tools] large enough for connector attached to vehicle side
    2) Slot female side to accept 4 or 7 wire bundle.
    3) Insert free [un-spliced] end up through tube and out the slot.
    4) Retract connector inside female side and insert male; this combination resists dirt surprisingly well.
    Caddy for Trailer Connector-caddy1.jpg
    Caddy for Trailer Connector-caddy2.jpg
    Some tubes aren't injection molded, but roto-molded; they have some taper and fit too loosely after sectioning. So the twist lock feature can work, I bonded 1/3rd of the section removed to male side, opposite of the locking lugs. That was sufficient for them to engage.
    5) With a pair of tubes, make a duplicate male for the trailer side, handily encasing the whole shebang.
    6) The same idea works with plastic prescription containers......

Would have been my tag; "Trailering, 12v Electrical Housing, Shameless jab at YT vids; where decent text suffices..."

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Oct 24, 2021 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Add pix, deride vids...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 27, 2021), clavius (Oct 27, 2021), Frank S (Oct 27, 2021), hemmjo (Oct 27, 2021), rlm98253 (Oct 27, 2021), thevillageinn (Oct 27, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    It is amazing how well one can express an idea with a couple of photos and a few carefully chosen words. It is so much more effective than a video with mind numbing rambling or even worse, BAD background music.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

clavius (Oct 27, 2021), DIYer (Nov 12, 2021), Frank S (Oct 27, 2021), mklotz (Oct 27, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    First off, what a great repurpose of a a bit of packaging material.
    Just one thought though, had you reversed the cups and used the one with the hanger hole in it you could have added a lanyard to that or hard mounted it somewhere near by then when not being capped over the connector it would not be at risk of being lost. If mounted to the tongue of the trailer this would also serve to keep the cord from hanging or dragging should the trailer be moved without being fully connected.
    Lastly thanks for not joining the cinematographer crowd, it seems to me with those guys it is more about them making movies than about making tools. A vid of how the tool is used is often nice and sometimes a bit of the build but I agree with the previous poster about the music and rambling
    Last edited by Frank S; Oct 27, 2021 at 06:50 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    It is amazing how well one can express an idea with a couple of photos and a few carefully chosen words. It is so much more effective than a video with mind numbing rambling or even worse, BAD background music.
    Hear, hear!
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it. It was as much about the idea, and obviously the little Jab.
    Frank S is right about reversing the male side, I'd puzzled that coming up with the remedy. I have a magnetic hook for female end, and felt open end down offered some water or dirt resistance. When towing, a box holds spare bulbs, keys, hitch pins etc, and now that plug cover. It's a car, so not often called upon for towing, but does well enough as option when weight isn't issue. Also near twice the mileage compared to my F150....which I didn't have yet retrieving 36" stomp shear (18" gap, even heavier!) and full Gorton 265 Cutter Grinder.
    Choosing vehicles is my newly developed science; all about load, round trip distance & location/ terrian, is dog riding along, weather, what is needed to unload.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Toolmaker51! We've added your Trailer Connector Caddy to our Electrical category,
    as well as to your builder page: Toolmaker51's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information