Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Cake cutting tools - GIFs and photos

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    TONGS???????
    If sumbuddy brought me pizza with crust [?], more accurately half-baked dough so damp and sodden, pizza pliers were needed to drag it unwillingly from the stone, it will be their blouse or hat back into the kitchen!
    Got to go with TM51 on this one. For me pizza is a food group all in its own, and my pursuit of the perfect slice is never ending. Pizza should never be baked on or in a pan the heated air flow must circulate under as well as over the pie unless it is baked in a proper stone oven then the crust must be in contact with the hot stone floor of the oven to obtain just the correct amount of caramelizing of the crust. I have a favorite place where I always make point to stop by and order a pizza when I pass through that town it doesn't even matter if I'm not hungry or have only recently had lunch or dinner I'm stopping to order a pizza. My wife thinks I'm crazy and never misses the chance to point out that it is going to be long cold before I get around to eating it. To this I reply so what is your point? Don't you know by now that there is only one thing better than a fresh hot pizza if it is made correctly and that is a stone cold one to snack on while driving.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Scotty12 (Dec 31, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jun 6, 2019)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    I have never had a slice of pizza in Colorado that equaled or even rivaled a standard NYC street pizza slice, even when it is cooked correctly. The problem is almost always the crust.

I wonder if this "New York Watermaker" is gimmicky: New York WaterMaker – New York WaterMaker . They claim to reproduce the water characteristics of NYC water.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Jun 6, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Ah, yes, New York water...the paralyzing bite of chlorine with that perfect soupçon of effervescent raw sewage.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Mmmmm-mmmm-good. New York Water, with New Jersey seasonings?
    Here, try it?
    No,YOU try it!
    But I don't want it.
    Hey, let someone else try it.

Far as less than savory pizza goes; Colorado has a tough row to hoe. I don't ever recall seeing altitude corrections for pizza dough and baking. Pizza is ALL about the crust; even if it is deep dish. Cookie dough is one thing, bread dough not fit for man nor mother in law.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jun 6, 2019 at 03:09 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Deep dish pizza is one of the reasons we call it "fly over country".

On the subject of water, my sister used to live in Germantown in northern Philadelphia. Tap a glass of water and it would literally fizz for a good five minutes before all the dissolved gasses would evaporate. pH of about 3, same as grapefruit juice; drop a penny in it and it would come out mirror bright.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Best normal, common public water I know of, is not too distant Marv. Just east of you, same county, Lakewood CA 90713. I recall the north end of Buena Park wasn't bad either, but that's Orange Co.

And here's a blast from the past.....Pizzito's. Lincoln and Walker, Cypress CA. Right next to Chief Auto Supply (#47?). Their unique combination; pizza ingredients rolled up in a flour tortilla, burrito sized.
    Ah, the 70's.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    The problem with altitude corrections for baking is that they are always a compromise. The simple trick of adding more flour works, but then the food comes out flour-y. Years ago I tried various different high-altitude recipe modifications using the (otherwise) same bread recipe and same cooking cycle with a bread making machine, when I lived over 10,000 feet. I could certainly make the bread look like a perfect sea-level loaf. But none of the modifications I tried could reproduce the perfect texture.

The trend seems to be to ultimately just rebrand the failed end product as the local "style" of pizza. So, now Colorado doesn't have bad pizza anymore, it just has Colorado-style pizza.

Baked goods are like meat in that way; the vast majority of the correct taste comes from cooking it perfectly.

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

The trend seems to be to ultimately just rebrand the failed end product as the local "style" of pizza. So, now Colorado doesn't have bad pizza anymore, it just has Colorado-style pizza.
    Rebranding is just a stupid attempt, to preserve or delay firing some marketing agents job. Just one of the new trends [anybody knows me, realizes such list is extensive] I find increasingly irksome. Reinventing is another.
    A couple jobs back, a well established [6 decades plus] corporation wanted a name change "to better reflect the customer base". "Please enter suggestions in the drop box, by. . ." so and so date, making it a contest.
    My reply was a bit less than what they trolled for; I hope. Included some well recognized and historic examples, pointing out their idea was pure folly. Like why does one company buy out another, and stipulate assimilating the CUSTOMER LIST?
    (I imagine suppliers, all sitting around waiting for the sale and diluting the value of said list by shedding names for nonsensical we see online, Weebly Structural Concrete Forms, Clunk & Clank Metal Supply,...)

Anyway;
    Hello? WTF. We're a freaking job shop! Who'd consider cutting off un-named categories?

Done for now; but gimme a minute.
    Of the several company names, my favorite close-out drew attention to Peck-Stow-Wilcox PEXTO; carrying founders names since 1797. Paul Revere probably owned some. Also noting history; many highly regarded brands follow suit; implementing personal or significant names.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Possibly feasible for a not-too-tall piece of pie.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...l_fullsize.jpg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Dec 27, 2019)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Possibly feasible for a not-too-tall piece of pie.
    Or apparently, not so wide.
    Cut theirs, leave two pan bound, gimme a fork.
    Save washing a plate too.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thread Information