Here's a tool I made a little over 3 years ago, for pulling cannon pinions from pocket watch movements. Nothing radical about the design, just a plain old puller. With the body/jaws being made from a single piece, requiring only to be drilled eccentrically and then parted, it's quite easy and quick to make different sizes to fit different size movements, and reuse the screw between them. I also filed a flat onto the top of this one to aid in drilling the screw hole, and filed small flats at the ends of the jaws, but those are strictly optional. I may or may not bother with either of those when/if I need to make a different size. The screw and body were made from O1 steel, hardened and then tempered to blue. The cross pin for the screw was a piece of an old drill bit that was parted off and polished up.
Here's a shot of the parts before heat treating (note the hole near one of the jaws... that was not on purpose, just a stray hole from a mistake I had made):
After heat treating and assembling:
Testing it out on an old Burlington pocket watch movement:
Last edited by mars-red; 09-09-2015 at 12:08 PM.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)