Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't Miss Center Punch

Thanks

Crusty's Tools

Can't Miss Center Punch

Can't Miss Center Punch-center-punch.jpg

Kia intake valve transformed into a center punch - took me about 5 minutes to make.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 25, 2020), JoeVanGeaux (Sep 25, 2020), Jon (Oct 1, 2020), nova_robotics (Sep 24, 2020), toeless joe (Sep 24, 2020)

Supporting Member old_toolmaker's Avatar
    Thanks

old_toolmaker's Tools
    Crusty,
    If you can’t hit this with a hammer you better give up��

2000 Tool Plans
    Dick

Links to some of my plans:

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/...965#post105972 OFF-SET TAILSTOCK CENTER PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...995#post112113 SMALL TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...994#post112111 LARGE TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...383#post110340 MINI-LATHE CARRIAGE LOCK PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...191#post106483 SMALL QC TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/q...849#post119345 QUICK CHANGE LATHE TURRET
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...949#post119893 MINI LATHE COMPOUND PIVOT MODIFICATION

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I don't have that problem - the title was just a small joke, but if I did I'd probably have a different hobby because 8 fingers and 2 thumbs only go so far.

When I was dismantling a Kia engine for the aluminum, I was surprised by how nice of a steel from which the valves were made. It was really tough but not that brittle and that's when the idea hit me that one would make a good center punch.

A friend suggested that I see if the engine would fire up and indeed it did when I tried.

Can't Miss Center Punch-fired-up.jpg

This mostly didn't work BTW. Only the lowest section got hot enough to take the aluminum to hot shortness so that it would bust apart easily. I cut the rest into smaller chunks with an aluminum cutting blade in my circular saw and though it was a dubious operation it worked. All that I couldn't recover were the actual cylinders with liners that were impossible to remove and impervious to the aluminum cutting blade, but still overall I got 3 5 gal buckets of casting aluminum chunks to melt.
    Last edited by Crusty; Sep 25, 2020 at 07:07 AM.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Crusty! We've added your Center Punch to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: Crusty's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

RE: Can't miss center punch

Quote Originally Posted by old_toolmaker View Post
    Crusty,
    If you can’t hit this with a hammer you better give up��
    Its my turn to say: "You need a bigger hammer."

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanks I am a wood worker, obviously not a very good one, but I try & have fun. I have a couple of engines out back & several pair of heads, so making a couple of these will be of great help. I need to of these or more than tool stealing gremlin always works with me. Thank you. ��

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I bought a 12# sledge hammer for this project and I have to say that it's too big for this old codger to swing many times.

So, size doesn't matter as much as the effort put into it (where have I heard that before?).

Beeman, if you want to do something unpredictable and fun, cut the ends off the installed valves off with a torch and see what happens. Most of mine fizzled but a couple launched nicely.

If your hand/eye coordination isn't anything to write home about you can use exhaust valves since they're a lot bigger in diameter.
    Last edited by Crusty; Sep 25, 2020 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    Beeman, if you want to do something unpredictable and fun, cut the ends off the installed valves off with a torch and see what happens. Most of mine fizzled but a couple launched nicely.
    Have I been missing out on some fun? Is there a video of this somewhere??

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    The springs don't really go as far as you would expect but the unpredictability makes torching each one fun. It was also fun to break down an engine with a torch, a sledge hammer, a metal saw and cold chisels knowing I wouldn't have to put it back together.

I just finished the shakedown run at the Shade Tree Foundry where I tried my homemade burner, furnace, crucible and casting tools for the very first time. I made this first ingot from that Kia engine (little thin on one end because I spilled some aluminum rushing since my hand was getting hot). It all worked as expected except that my initial preheat of the crucible was too hot for too long and big chunks popped off the outside and now I have to buy another one. The ingot is about 4 lbs of aluminum made in an angle iron form.

Can't Miss Center Punch-first-ingot.jpg

And the spirit sayeth unto me "Cast thine ingots upon the form" so I did.

Can't Miss Center Punch-ingots.jpg

Last edited by Crusty; Sep 26, 2020 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    Just finished making that Kia engine into ingots for casting. I got 57# of nice casting ready aluminum for $40 - not a bad deal.

I'm not selling anything, just relating my experience getting good casting stock inexpensively.
    Last edited by Crusty; Sep 29, 2020 at 08:07 AM.

Thread Information