Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Chainsaw magnetic cutting guide - photo

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,709 Times in 9,873 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

durrelltn (Jul 3, 2022), Scotsman Hosie (Jul 3, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I would be interested to know how many cuts that electric chainsaw can make in that size log on a charge. I have never use any electric chainsaw, so I really have no idea.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    I would be interested to know how many cuts that electric chainsaw can make in that size log on a charge. I have never use any electric chainsaw, so I really have no idea.
    I have no Idea about the battery life, but what I'm trying to figure out is the need for the guide in the first place it seems to me that if you need your firewood cut to that close of a measurement you need to replace your wood stove or convert to gas or electric so you don't have to OCD over cutting the firewood. Besides it has to be removed as soon as you start your cut, so I see a danger there
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member schuylergrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm guessing the "guide" just pops off when the top of the bar starts to enter the cut, or the user could just pull it off when he has his mark. To me, it would be easier to have a piece of wood cut to the length you want, and just sit it on top of the log when you start your cut. Regarding the electric saw, I've used one or two that were certainly more than powerful enough for non-professional work. If that's a 40V or 80V battery powered saw, I would probably go for quite a while, too. Unless I was doing a lot of cutting out in the middle of nowhere, I don't think I'd ever buy another temperamental 2-cycle saw, again. My 18V battery powered pole saw will cut through an eight-inch branch like it's butter, and all I have to do is pull the trigger and add some chain oil every now and then.

For topical application, only. Not to be taken internally or used in com-
    bination with other drugs or alcohol, except as directed by your shaman.
    Do not operate heavy equipment, unless you actually know how to.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    It would be very dangerous for the guide to "pop off" the top of the bar while the chain is running. The chain would very likely grab the magnet and fling the thing away.

A better place to mount a guide, if you must use one, would be on the saw handle where it will never contact the log. Since the user would be unskilled, else they would not need the guide, mounting the guide properly on the handle would allow them to use the guide for length as well as to assure nice square ends on the log.

I would also not buy a temperamental saw, I have had my Husqvarna 65 for over 40 years. All I have had to replace is the bar and a few chains.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    It would be very dangerous for the guide to "pop off" the top of the bar while the chain is running. The chain would very likely grab the magnet and fling the thing away.

A better place to mount a guide, if you must use one, would be on the saw handle where it will never contact the log. Since the user would be unskilled, else they would not need the guide, mounting the guide properly on the handle would allow them to use the guide for length as well as to assure nice square ends on the log.

I would also not buy a temperamental saw, I have had my Husqvarna 65 for over 40 years. All I have had to replace is the bar and a few chains.
    I'm with you on mounting on the handle. I used to use just a SS wire with one hose clamp, easily adjustable & never in the way.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information