Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The cheapest metal chromium

Supporting Member Kovanca Polock's Avatar
    Thanks

Kovanca Polock's Tools

Lightbulb The cheapest metal chromium

The cheapest method of chrome plating

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Kovanca Polock; Sep 26, 2021 at 07:06 PM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kovanca Polock For This Useful Post:

Floradawg (Sep 28, 2021), HobieDave (Sep 28, 2021), Jon (Sep 30, 2021), lassab999 (Oct 4, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Sep 28, 2021), nova_robotics (Sep 28, 2021), Slim-123 (Sep 27, 2021), uv8452 (Sep 29, 2021), wolfpaak (Oct 4, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Kovanca Polock! We've added your Chrome Plating Method to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: Kovanca Polock's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Just a quick question: What metal is the spoon made from other than being non magnetic?

Thanks

Kovanca Polock's Tools
    stainless steel

Thanks

piper184's Tools
    where does the chrome come from?

Thanks

Kovanca Polock's Tools
    As part of a stainless steel

Thanks

Puzzle

Now I'm confused. You're suggesting that two identical metals are used connected to opposite terminals of a 5 volt DC output and screened with a piece of plastic. I've done a fair amount of plating but you're explanation of stainless steel for both the spoon and the metal strip just doesn't seem to make sense - but I am willing to hear the an explanation. That being the case, why not use two pieces of the stainless sheet
    Thanks
    Last edited by thirdbike; Sep 29, 2021 at 02:21 PM. Reason: clarification

Thanks

Kovanca Polock's Tools
    I did not have two spoons that are not magnets, it is poacure that it does not have a value to obtain a solution.

Thanks

piper184's Tools
    Been researching this a little today as college chem classes were more than 40 years ago. It seems I have forgotten a lot.
    Anyway, putting stainless at the anode (+) will cause chrome to leach out of the stainless steel. It seems you need a Ph down around 1 and it can form as trivalent or hexavalent. The first being harmless and the second being a really nasty poison. Once in solution though, you can reverse the process and deposit it back onto the cathode (-) although I don't quite understand which version is being deposited. It seems a lot depends on the electrolytic solution and the base metals.
    I do remember a lot of shops that did chrome plating were put out of business when they tightened up the regulations

Thanks

Still not Clear

Quote Originally Posted by piper184 View Post
    Been researching this a little today as college chem classes were more than 40 years ago. It seems I have forgotten a lot.
    Anyway, putting stainless at the anode (+) will cause chrome to leach out of the stainless steel. It seems you need a Ph down around 1 and it can form as trivalent or hexavalent. The first being harmless and the second being a really nasty poison. Once in solution though, you can reverse the process and deposit it back onto the cathode (-) although I don't quite understand which version is being deposited. It seems a lot depends on the electrolytic solution and the base metals.
    I do remember a lot of shops that did chrome plating were put out of business when they tightened up the regulations
    So if the chrome is leached from the Positive anode then one has to assume that deposition is occurring at the negative cathode. I would think that the parts needing plating would be attached and not another piece of stainless. A better explanation is clearly needed.

Thread Information