Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Chevy Nova station wagon snowmobile - photos

Thanks
    Had the same thought about the skis knuckeling under. Compared to mattracks for example the proportions of the skis may only be a bit taller, the problem is adderses by using torsion bars on the track carriages. How that would work on a ski that only sees drag and no pull I could only guess at.
    Eric

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Is that a Volkswagen engine powering that nova or a Corvair
    Don't think it's either based on the lower hose coming out of the water pump and low mounted power steering pump and the Pan looks Chevy not VW or Corvair. Not sure...looks like a Chevy motor to me and if it is a 68 it could be a 396 based on the water pump...might be confusing the massive leaf springs as opposed cylinder/heads.

396 water pump...

Chevy Nova station wagon snowmobile - photos-396-waterpump.jpg

Got to be quick around here...Guess it's a 70, small block 400...¿

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by PJs; Dec 26, 2018 at 06:56 PM. Reason: late show...
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by suther51 View Post
    My guess is that there is a married transfercase driving the rear most axle with the rear out put of the t case. That may explain why only 45 mph if it is in low gear in the t case. There would have to be a chain case down to the pinion in put, but not unheard of.
    Eric
    Late here too.
    Just noticed the skis up front in motor pic.
    Had it backwards.
    To use t case front output with the drive axle facing forwards might work, but that would mean that the front axle of the 3 is driving, not a good situation I would think. Pulling track over the top. Yet the rear axle looks to have had the diff removed? Seems to have been overly complicated putting the motor backwards, like trying to reinvent the wheel with squares.
    Some how I just don't want this to be a total clunker. Wouldn't be the first.
    Eric

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    Yeah, I've seen this pop up in a few other areas as well. At first glance, it looks good, but upon closer inspection, there's issues.
    As many others have mentioned, the front skiis are the first major problem. Any bit of friction, and those things are going rotate around and flip over. Doesn't look like any torsion bars to prevent this from happening either.

Inspecting the track drivetrain, the front axle is just an idler tube, I'm assuming the middle axle is also and idler, and the pumpkin is in the rear. Others have already commented about how the pumpkin might be arranged for this to work. Engine is claimed to be a 400 V8, which would be plenty of power... if the power train holds together.
    Maybe the speedometer indicated 45 mph, and it was actually going 10? Even 10mph seems like it would be fast. Additionally, tracks kick up a lot of debris from the back, and any bodywork near that area gets blasted. Even at slow speeds its a lot, at 45mph it would be tremendous! Anyone who's driven a snowmobile can attest to that.

Based on my experience with tracked vehicles, (All Terrain Track Chair & my snow dozer & my Oliver HG crawler) I highly doubt this vehicle has ever gone through 10 feet of snow at 45mph.

I think it is an attention grabber that someone is trying offload after it didn't work. They did do a nice job on the body from a distance. Cameras tend to make stuff look better when taken at a distance, so who knows what it actually looks like up close. Fabrication looks fairly good... engineering not so much.

Has anyone seen this vehicle up close recently? Maybe we could get some updated pictures with more details. A video of it actually driving would be great!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

baja (Dec 30, 2019), PJs (Jan 3, 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by baja View Post
    Doesn`t look like VW..probably Corvair
    You guys must see something I don', cuz it looks like a sbc 350/400 to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlerjake View Post
    You guys must see something I don', cuz it looks like a sbc 350/400 to me.
    I started the confusion because on the small monitor I had at the time the water pump and lower radiator hose was not definitive and for some reason it looked like there were cylinder heads horizontally opposed to each other.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Just this....👎

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information