Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Chinese cactus syringe DIY - GIF

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 15, 2022), carloski (Jul 14, 2022), durrelltn (Jul 15, 2022), Inner (Jul 14, 2022), kboy0076 (Jul 21, 2022), rlm98253 (Jul 14, 2022), Scotsman Hosie (Jul 16, 2022), Sleykin (Aug 28, 2022), thevillageinn (Jul 16, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I did not see that coming.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member TrickieDickie's Avatar
    Thanks
    dido, Frank

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrickieDickie For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jul 14, 2022), Scotsman Hosie (Jul 16, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Hmmmm....That's not really his color. He's more of an autumn, I think.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to graniteguy For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Jul 16, 2022), Frank S (Jul 14, 2022), thevillageinn (Jul 16, 2022)

Supporting Member thevillageinn's Avatar
    Thanks

thevillageinn's Tools
    Did not expect that but when I saw the cactus paddles after being hung for a bit (I wonder how much time elapsed) I immediately recognized cochineal - having worked where there was a large old cactus which was inhabited by the bugs or parasites or whatever they are.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thevillageinn For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jul 16, 2022)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,796 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thevillageinn View Post
    Did not expect that but when I saw the cactus paddles after being hung for a bit (I wonder how much time elapsed) I immediately recognized cochineal - having worked where there was a large old cactus which was inhabited by the bugs or parasites or whatever they are.
    Good call. I guess it's some sort of natural red cactus insect dye?

This guy is bizarre though, even for weird Chinese GIFs, and we have seen plenty of those around here. And he gets stranger:

Is this like Kopi luwak? But...kittens?

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jul 20, 2022), Scotsman Hosie (Jul 16, 2022), Sleykin (Aug 28, 2022), thevillageinn (Jul 16, 2022)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Good call. I guess it's some sort of natural red cactus insect dye?

This guy is bizarre though, even for weird Chinese GIFs, and we have seen plenty of those around here. And he gets stranger:

<video controls autoplay loop>
    <source src="https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmt-forum/chinese_lightbulb_mystery_liquid.mp4" type="video/mp4">
    Your browser does not support the video tag.
    </video>

Is this like Kopi luwak? But...kittens?
    Jon how can we call what he is doing weird? he has an amazing ability to not only recognize the hidden qualities in things we cannot see. Remember the most expensive coffee in the world is that from the undigested seeds found in the feces that particular species of cat. His knowing how to make his own steeping vessel out of discarded lightbulbs alone is almost tantamount of genius. Me I would have had to resorted to using components found in a chemistry lab to make something like that. And for sure would never have known about the die extract from the parasites which could be drawn out of a cactus paddle.
    Another not completely related thing is in some cultures there are parts of elephant dung which is sometimes the only thing available for the tribes to eat since elephants have such a poor digestive system a lot of the plant matter, they eat passes straight through them undigested
    Last edited by Frank S; Jul 16, 2022 at 07:48 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jul 17, 2022)

Supporting Member thevillageinn's Avatar
    Thanks

thevillageinn's Tools
    Here’s Wikipedia info on cochineal - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal

The rough and ready ingenuity of people like this guy always amaze me.

Whipping up a vacuum brew device from a couple light bulbs is pretty clever.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_coffee_maker

I didn’t quite get what the cat was doing in the basket - a cat of that size wouldn’t likely create scat of that size and just laying around in the basket? A head scratcher to me. Also that was one light roast of beans so it didn’t seem like coffee…at least not the way I like to drink it.

His lipstick application skills seem to be on par with my little sister when she was a toddler and got into our mom’s lipstick one day. Haha

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thevillageinn View Post
    Here’s Wikipedia info on cochineal - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal

The rough and ready ingenuity of people like this guy always amaze me.

Whipping up a vacuum brew device from a couple light bulbs is pretty clever.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_coffee_maker

I didn’t quite get what the cat was doing in the basket - a cat of that size wouldn’t likely create scat of that size and just laying around in the basket? A head scratcher to me. Also that was one light roast of beans so it didn’t seem like coffee…at least not the way I like to drink it.

His lipstick application skills seem to be on par with my little sister when she was a toddler and got into our mom’s lipstick one day. Haha
    I like Turkish coffee but it must boil and cool 3 times before being heated again the way some Argentinian friends of mine make it, to get the full flavor out of it
    Arabic coffee is very weak in color and must be made from some very choice roasted beans. drank more for ceremonial or friendship gatherings than anything else. It has a unique taste and always served in thimble sized glasses not cups

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,796 Times in 11,326 Posts
    We knew this guy who lived in our canyon, and he had an old gold mine in his backyard that he had converted to a beer cave; stays cool all year round and doesn't freeze in winter. He was a judge for the Great American Beer Festival, and people would send him free samples of their beer and he would store them in the cave. Every year he would have this wild party where he would open up the beer cave and everyone could drink any beer in the cave.

One year he gave me a free ticket to the Great American Beer Festival. I went and tried many beers. The most memorable was this stout; I couldn't believe how good it was. It was made with the coffee beans from civet cat droppings. Here it is: https://drizly.com/beer/ale/stout/im...-weasel/p59460

I say "weird" having binged the rest of his videos. Clearly intelligent and resourceful, but bizarre. I'll post more of them.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Thread Information