Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Choice of finishing - burl veneer

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post

Fred I think highly of Dickies All-Purpose Work Stain Resistor socks.
    See what I mean? That variety is one of logical types I've not tried yet.
    Hello, Google?
    And yes, thiis Fred is a sock conisur, connysir, aficinado . . . I buy socks.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    Advent calendar, day 10
    Choice of finishing - burl veneer-dsc06334_1600x1200.jpg Choice of finishing - burl veneer-dsc06335_1600x1200.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I found this video of Rob O'Brien finishing a guitar with Royal Lac, a product that I wasn't familiar with and it seemed to me that it might be what you're after. I know that if you do what Rob says to do, how he says to do it that you'll have a finished piece that you're proud of and you can achieve a guitar quality finish just with hand application and polishing.

If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

rendoman (Dec 19, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Dec 21, 2019)

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    Thank you! It's Always nice to learn new things!
    Looking the video it seems that the last passage, maybe the real polishing job, it's done with the cotton wheel and paste. Unluckily I can't enter the horn with the drill or the vertical grinder, the throat of the horn is tiny and the risk of damaging edges is high.
    I'm watching different types of wax (common italian brand, easy to find here), I don't know the differences between types, one is pure beeswax, one mixed with carnauba and the last one without turps.

https://www.ceranovecento.com/vernic...nitura-en.html

https://www.ceranovecento.com/colla-...entare-en.html

https://www.ceranovecento.com/colla-perline-en.html

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    Watch the entire video - he first demonstrates how it can be polished by hand to what I think is a nice appearance. Of course it will never equal a buffing machine mirror finish but some concessions have to be made in an imperfect world.

In general, I've found that Maguires products do a nice job, even on wood and if I recall correctly he mentioned one as an alternate for hand polishing. I did a little work on an expensive violin once and I used Flitz to finish polish it and it came out nice.

I don't think you'll be very happy with the subdued finish of beeswax and something carnuba based would produce a result closer to what you're after.

I just reread your post and finally snapped to the fact that you're in Italy and likely don't have easy access to many of the products that I mentioned. Try to find someone in your area who makes or repairs musical instruments and go there and ask what he/she uses for the type of project you're making. Buy him/her lunch and you'll likely get more information than you can remember.
    Last edited by Crusty; Dec 19, 2019 at 06:20 PM.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    Thanks for advices
    In fact here it's quite hard to find everything that's not of wide distribution. Hardware store has common products (for each type of goods), if you have to buy the perfect product you have to search online, almost always from abroad, If you're lucky in Eu with no custom tax, otherwise you're doomed. Moreover, if you search for "pro" goods, you have to ask to specialized sellers that usually don't want to sell to a private Citizen without Vat number (or they ask a minimum cost up 100 euro).
    I can find shellac (flakes) or a ready to use lacquer, many types of wax, linseed and (not easy) tung oil, the only good one available in gun shop is the Tru-oil. It's even possible to find good automotive clear coating.
    I tried to put some wax on Iroko wood, the veins seem very nice, surely it's not glossy, but I think it could be a nice choice (after maybe some 5-6 hands) plus the hand wool polishing)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by rendoman; Dec 19, 2019 at 08:31 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rendoman For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Dec 26, 2019)

Thread Information