Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Chop saw cutting thick round stock - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,266 Times in 9,726 Posts

Chop saw cutting thick round stock - GIF

Chop saw cutting thick round stock.

Previously:

Super efficient chop saw - GIF
    Mini chop saw - video
    Automatic rail saw - video
    Power hacksaw - video
    Homemade power hacksaw - video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

carloski (Oct 27, 2021), that_other_guy (Oct 28, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I would lean towards calling it a cold saw. judging by the slow RPMs and the apparent signs there are teeth on the blade and not a consumable friction blade. But I have to wonder why there doesn't seem to be any coolant spray Cumming out of the nozzle positioned in front of the blade

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Altair (Oct 27, 2021)

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I would lean towards calling it a cold saw. judging by the slow RPMs and the apparent signs there are teeth on the blade and not a consumable friction blade. But I have to wonder why there doesn't seem to be any coolant spray Cumming out of the nozzle positioned in front of the blade
    Might be that it is just air to control the chips...

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Yeah, from watching videos of various objects being fabricated from structural steel, I've often wondered why there is no coolant. It seems like the blade, though presumably designed to be used dry, would dull quickly. I usually use my portable bandsaw or my abrasive chop saw.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    I have used abrasive cutoff saws for years, clearly this isn't one of those.

I bought one of the Evo cold cut saws, piece of junk, problem is with the clamp and the way the back of the vise is built. Made about a dozen cuts and the blade is worn out. I looked at the cuts and repeatability of cuts and using a setup where I had excellent coltrol of the process, the saw/clamp/vise/blade were the only variables. My abrasive cutoff saw did beter than the evo.

Bought a Makita - oh my - it is a pleasure to use. Clamp/vise are well designed, the blade is stiffer. I have made hundreds of cuts (probably over 700) on the same blade and it is just fantasic. I have cut many shapes - round/flat/plate/T-bar/bolts/rebar/etc. I even used it to cut a PTO drive shaft to length. The cuts are flat and straight. I have repeatability to less than 1/32" and I could probably make it more with a better stop for the material.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BuffaloJohn For This Useful Post:

gene55 (Oct 30, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Mar 16, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    A cold saw is typically 150 rpm for aluminium and 75 for steel using coolant. I would think this is a carbide dry cut and the heat is carried away in the chips. I used to have a friction saw 22'' diameter at 3600 rpm, tungsten alloy blade.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Discounting the paint coating (yellow & blue?), maybe it's being reused. Anyway, the chips and cut face appear to be cast iron. Moderate speed, and dry, air is acceptable.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I have a 12" compound miter saw that I use to cut aluminum planking with. What was taking 3 minutes to cut with the band saw takes about 10 to 15 seconds with the miter saw. of course the carbide blade cost nearly 100 bucks but well worth it in time savings
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I have a 12" compound miter saw that I use to cut aluminum planking with. What was taking 3 minutes to cut with the band saw takes about 10 to 15 seconds with the miter saw. of course the carbide blade cost nearly 100 bucks but well worth it in time savings
    Not to mention lifespan of circular re-sharpenable - repairable blade. For any adequate size band blade, they close in on $100 too. Proportionally speaking, an expense in heat-treating is tied to petroleum prices; tooling and gears for example, though it has a long service life.

I regard cutting in accord with goal of that particular item in process. ie, Cold sawing is clean, square, to length and sufficient finish to pass for done, but 100% hands on.
    A well set bandsaw can tend it self, needing only to reposition material, narrow kerf, often better cutting nested or bundled material.
    Chop saws beat all on moderate rod sizes and angle iron, low cost per cut of wheels, but calls for all-over deburring, a lot of sweeping afterward.
    It's not far-fetched to combine two of these for certain advantages combined.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Mar 16, 2022 at 09:03 PM. Reason: brain expansion, after dinner of fish, and checking if any react to weird 'reasons for editing'.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

BuffaloJohn (Mar 17, 2022)

Thread Information