Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chorded keyboard - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,827 Times in 9,927 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

johncg (Jan 1, 2023), KustomsbyKent (Jan 3, 2023), nova_robotics (Dec 29, 2022)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,860 Times in 11,343 Posts
    This is interesting, but I think its best use would be stenography or some similar application where you have to type at pace with spoken language.

You can easily get over 100 WPM by learning to type on the Dvorak keyboard layout (Colemak is popular now too), plus getting 10 keyboard shortcuts into muscle memory.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    As one of those guys who couldn't be bothered with taking a typing class in school. I was probably close to 40 years old before I ever even owned a typewriter until that time any typing i had to do had been the 2 finger stab and go. nearly 30 years later I still don't touch type 100% of the time closer top 65% if I had to make a guess.
    but this has always been with QWERTY, Just looking at Dvorak and Colemak I can see right off I want no part of either of them and sure don't want any part of whatever that wiggle wobble thing is
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I learned on a Linkbelt excavator. The controls are different on my little Kubota. It's been about 5 years and I still haven't rewired my brain properly. I don't think I could handle this keyboard.

Thanks
    Some years ago, I researched why the QWERTY keyboard was laid out the way it is. Not because touch-typing was so bad on a typewriter, but because the QWERTY keyboard layout has caused me so much more anguish when used on a modern cell phone.

After making far too many embarrassing (if not merely unfortunate) miss-typed words, I discovered accounts of where the original QWERTY layout was purposefully designed to slow down the typical typists/keyboarder. This, apparently, was done because the mechanics of the old, original typewriters couldn't keep up (or withstand?) the pace of the user. One quick example that supports these claims is found in the crowding of the "U", "I" and "O" so close together. Many would argue that this often leads to numerous, unnecessary and gross spelling errors... unless the user slows down out of caution.

I am going to look into the "Colemak" keyboard layout that Jon referenced, since I looked at others some time back and I'm just not feeling it with those, either, though I can't put my finger on a reason (there is a pun in there, somewhere! LOL).

Thanks
    Thanked 6,398 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    No keyboard layout is going to keep you from making typos.

The real secret is to force yourself to proofread what you have written. Start by using a spellchecker; many typos fortunately lead to non-words, e.g. "teh" instead of "the". Then proofread for the typos that do produce real words - "bit" for "but". Then, if you really want to appear literate check for homophone errors.

Learning to touch type can really help to reduce typos because you can watch what is appearing on the screen rather than looking at the keyboard.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Right you are, Marv!

You touched on my all time greatest keyboarding error, "teh" for "the", but for me, that particular error almost always happens on a keyboard and is probably due to me being in a rush or, perhaps, muted "muscle memory" resulting from lack of practice. I don't recall ever making that particular typo on a cell phone, tho.

In any case, the answer lies in proofreading and practice, as you alluded to. All that said or unsaid, I'd like to see what kind of "novella" I could come up with using that device in the OP!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,398 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeVanGeaux View Post
    Right you are, Marv!

You touched on my all time greatest keyboarding error, "teh" for "the", but for me, that particular error almost always happens on a keyboard and is probably due to me being in a rush or, perhaps, muted "muscle memory" resulting from lack of practice. I don't recall ever making that particular typo on a cell phone, tho.

In any case, the answer lies in proofreading and practice, as you alluded to. ...
    Just as toilets aren't good drinking fountains, cell phones make lousy typewriters.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,860 Times in 11,343 Posts
    One trick is to use a text expansion program and setup "teh" to type "the".

Proofreading, and writing skills in general, may be in trouble with the rise of AI writers like ChatGPT. Even teachers aren't able to tell the difference between the AI-generated text and a student's work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    One trick is to use a text expansion program and setup "teh" to type "the".

Proofreading, and writing skills in general, may be in trouble with the rise of AI writers like ChatGPT. Even teachers aren't able to tell the difference between the AI-generated text and a student's work.
    Yeah, I forgot about that feature. Wifey changes our phones often enough for me to forget what useful texting/editing widgets and apps are installed.

Thanks for the reminder!

Thread Information