Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Clogged Spray Can Tool

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools

Clogged Spray Can Tool

This is a stupid tool I made to get the shmoo out of a clogged spray can. Enjoy.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Jul 17, 2021), enginepaul1 (Jul 19, 2021), Jon (Jul 16, 2021), rlm98253 (Jul 16, 2021), thadrodgers (Jul 16, 2021), uv8452 (Jul 17, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks nova_robotics! We've added your Spray Can Declogger to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: nova_robotics's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jul 16, 2021)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Darn, I was hoping you had a way to unplug the existing dip tube, as it seems that's where gravity has settled out the thick paint, and it then plugs the tube when the spray valve is depressed. But it would probably take knowing what the exact propellant is, and back feed the same (all assuming it is procurable) down the tube to clear it.
    I've tried shaking the can. Even bought a shaking tool that gets inserted into a sawlzall type hand held saw. Seems once they are plugged there's no fixing them.
    I guess you can't leave paint cans laying around for 30 years, even if unused, they are scrap.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Darn, I was hoping you had a way to unplug the existing dip tube, as it seems that's where gravity has settled out the thick paint, and it then plugs the tube when the spray valve is depressed. But it would probably take knowing what the exact propellant is, and back feed the same (all assuming it is procurable) down the tube to clear it.
    I've tried shaking the can. Even bought a shaking tool that gets inserted into a sawlzall type hand held saw. Seems once they are plugged there's no fixing them.
    I guess you can't leave paint cans laying around for 30 years, even if unused, they are scrap.
    I've tried everything. I even made a little needle type thing to inject air compressor air back down the straw. Nope. This thing works awesome though. I was just using it to spray stuff 10 minutes ago. On paint or some other product it would probably not be that great with the open 1/8" copper tube, but with the thick silicone spray it works amazingly well. Much better than the spray nozzle.

Thanks
    I store my spray paint cans horizontally and have never had that problem, except when the cans are really old, and then they spray in splutters. One needs to invert the can and spray a short burst to clear the tubes of course.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans Pearson View Post
    I store my spray paint cans horizontally and have never had that problem, except when the cans are really old, and then they spray in splutters. One needs to invert the can and spray a short burst to clear the tubes of course.
    These particular cans come pre-clogged right from the store.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information