Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CNC RC Motor Spindle

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

CNC RC Motor Spindle

Here is a model airplane motor powered, belt driven, CNC Mill spindle. Right now the high rpm is 2000. Other pulleys are in the works for higher ranges. The Motor is a typical RC motor of 400kv. That is 400 rpm per volt.
    With my 12 volt power supply that comes out to 4800 rpm for the motor at the high speed end. The pulley reduction is 2.4 to 1. Without any cutting load the spindle was measured with a tach right at 2000 rpm. Power supply is capable of 70 amps at 12 vdc and this setup is running about 16 amps under cutting load so I have plenty of head room on the power supply.

The speed controller is a standard RC motor 100 amp simple controller. I added a fan to cool the speed controller and then it blows toward the motor to help it out a bit also. Extra capacitors are added inside the white box to protect the speed controller from transients. Heating of the motor does not seem to be a problem at all. I think the generous amounts of aluminum are making a great heatsink.

(see post 9 to see how much of a "good value" this turned out to be!)

The actual spindle shaft is an off shore ER-20 collet setup. It was $15.00 with the collet nut which was a good value. The shaft itself when installed in the bearings and housing had about 5 tenths run out. Plenty good for me. However the collet did not seem to fit properly when the nut was installed. The off shore collet nut had a ring of steel that was preventing the collet from registering inside the shaft on the ER-20 taper. I had to bore out at least .030" deep for about .125" inside the nut to keep the extra metal from interfering with the seating of the collet. Now with a 3/8" collet and a dowel rod in the collet the run out is about .002". Not as good as I would like but it will work for now.

The spindle shaft housing was a chunk of mystery metal from my metal supplier. It was tubing and required just a small amount of machining to fit the bearings and then just clean up the outside. The bearings are an easy press fit. Half inch aluminum T-6061 was used for all the other mounting pieces. The pulleys are more mystery metal. The CNC machine was used for spotting and counter boring the holes in the mounting plate. The final diameter for the spindle housing mounting holes in the aluminum was done on the mill with a boring head. I pinned both the top and bottom mounting plates together to bore the holes so they would be lined up.

So far it looks pretty good. One of the pics shows the finish on the side of a band sawn chunk of aluminum.
    Next part is to make a tooling plate of 3/4" aluminum plate. The CNC machine will make it's own and we will see if it can earn its keep!

Here is a link to the CNC machine the spindle will be used with:
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/c...6078#post65886

Cheers,
    JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC RC Motor Spindle-1spindlemount1.jpg   CNC RC Motor Spindle-2pulley1.jpg   CNC RC Motor Spindle-3pulley2.jpg   CNC RC Motor Spindle-4a.jpg   CNC RC Motor Spindle-4b.jpg  

CNC RC Motor Spindle-4c.jpg   CNC RC Motor Spindle-5spindleclamps.jpg   CNC RC Motor Spindle-6spindlebottom.jpg   CNC RC Motor Spindle-7endview.jpg   CNC RC Motor Spindle-8halfalucleanup.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by jjr2001; Nov 25, 2016 at 05:04 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

high-side (Feb 6, 2020), Home-PC (Jul 20, 2020), Jon (Oct 7, 2016), Paul Jones (Oct 6, 2016), PJs (Oct 6, 2016), sacco1 (Mar 6, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    JR,

Great information and the 70A, 12VDC power supply and the heatsink capabilities of the motor mount. You could always add more fins to the surrounding housing.

I think many milling tool manufacturers say that each tenth of runout reduces tool life by 10% in CNC work. It may not be exactly correct but that is why I buy some of the more expensive ER collets with 0.0002" TIR because the solid carbide cutters are pretty expensive, and the longer the tool life, the better for my wallet.

Your photos proves your machine can machine a beautiful finish on the rough-sawn aluminum. Nice to be a a point where your machine can generate even better parts for itself.

Thanks for the photos and progress report.

Paul

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Oct 6, 2016), PJs (Oct 8, 2016)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Wow, that is a lot of lost life due to run out. I will buy at least two new ER-20 collets. One for 1/8 and one for 3/8 since they will be my most used cutters. It makes sense that tool life would be reduced since the run out is going to put more tool load on the flutes that come closest to the metal (or plastic) you are cutting. I did add a heat sink to one of my power feed motors since it was never designed for continuous use and I was putting a very heavy duty cycle on it. Worked like a champ. Now the motor is warm not hot.

Here is link for that heat sink. Just made it on the lathe and mill out of some aluminum plate.
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...9982#post71647
    It is on post 8.

Cheers, JR

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,789 Times in 11,325 Posts
    Congratulations jjr2001 - your CNC Mill Spindle is the Tool of the Week!

Lots of nice entries this week, including a Tilting Table for Jig Welding by Frank S, a Basic Dividing Head from Metaler, your Banjos, and a Grinding Rest from DonRecardo, from a Metaler design.

Since this is your second win, you'll be receiving a $25 prize, from your choice of PayPal, Amazon, or bitcoin. Please PM me your award preference, plus a current email address, and I'll get it sent out immediately.

This one hasn't been inserted into the encyclopedia yet, but it made it in before the weekly deadline. Here's your previous Tool of the Week winning build:

Previous winners can be viewed here: 100 Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools

Congrats again!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Oct 8, 2016), PJs (Oct 8, 2016)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Thank You Jon, First we get an idea or see an idea for a tool we need, that is good. Then we decide to make the tool and that is a certain amount of fun. Then we make the tool and that is just plain fun. Then sometimes we get an award for the tool and that is just plain awesome. Thanks again, John R. aka JR.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 8, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Congrats JR...Great tool and a winner for sure. Adding to your already impressive Bling! ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Oct 8, 2016)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools
    Thanks PJ, so many great ideas on this site the building will never stop!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 25, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your CNC Motor Spindle to our CNC category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Nov 25, 2016)

Thanks

jjr2001's Tools

Run out with import shafting

The point here is if you buy an inexpensive import ER-20 or any other type of shafting make sure it is true by chucking it up in the lathe and checking it for runout. It may just save you a tear down!!!

In the first post I noted the .002 runout and have since found that I was lucky to get that low. I had a poor collet and in addition the shaft was defective from the overseas factory. The luck was in angular placement of the collet in the shaft. I measured .003 for the runout of the shaft and about the same for the bad collet. When put together at the real lucky position run out was better than .001.......At worst it was.006....Yikes.

Could not live with that. Destroyed the bad collet. Disassembled the shaft from the bearings and housing. I had found that the shaft OD was better than .0004. However the taper for the collet was .003.... Ok, lathe time.

Chucked up the shaft in my lathe and indicated it to better than .0005". Then I used a dial test indicator to set the compound to the taper of the shaft collet socket. When I had the angle right for the ER-20 taper I put my dremel on the tool post with a small grinding wheel and took very light passes on that ugly taper. You could hear the runout as it was turning. Eventually after about 12 passes the sound became quite steady and I knew it was done.

Testing on the lathe with a dial test indicator showed no movement in the indicator.

Result after putting the spindle back together was better than .0005 runout. Now that I can live with.

Cheers, JR

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 25, 2016)

Thanks
    Nice looking mount and good warnings about the collets and chucks

19. The Following User Says Thank You to L98fiero For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Mar 6, 2021)

Thread Information