Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Become a founding member: 500+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: CNC Router

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by editor@glue-it.com View Post
    Hi All,

Building a small traction engine and I wanted to engrave the words around the smokebox door and for the main badge, so thought I would dip my toe into the world of CNC and bought a CNC engraver/router. OK it is very cheap and might not be up to the job, but this is a steep learning curve for me as only ever used manual machines before this point. I bought a Sain Smart CNC Router 3018-Pro.

So, here is a video of the kit arriving and me assembling the machine. Will share more as I learn.

Now I'm learning about G-Code, tool paths and how to set up the machine for different materials.
    Silly question for you: what is the frame of the machine made out of? Acrylic?

Bill

173 Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Oct 19, 2021)

Supporting Member editor@glue-it.com's Avatar
    Thanks

editor@glue-it.com's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    Silly question for you: what is the frame of the machine made out of? Acrylic?

Bill
    It's like a Bakelite and smells like bakelite when you drill it. Best regards, Nigel

Thanks

Just made a video to explain how to align the head parallel and square to the table using a set of feeler gauges and some easy to make pointers.

Thanks

Kant Twist Clamp Project

I've always like the Kant Twist Clamp design and so thought I would make this my first proper CNC project.

CNC Router-kant-twist-clamp-02.jpg
    Sand bags on the aluminium sheet to damp down some of the vibration.

and I now have some tiny parts
    CNC Router-kant-twist-clamp-04.jpg

CNC Router-kant-twist-clamp-03.jpg
    Now I just need to make the bearings, jaws and thread....
    Last edited by editor@glue-it.com; Oct 18, 2021 at 04:17 AM. Reason: needed a title

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to editor@glue-it.com For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (Oct 18, 2021), Jon (Oct 18, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Oct 21, 2021), TheElderBrother (Oct 20, 2021)

Thanks

I've now made up all of the bearings, jaws and screw to assemble a kant-twist clamp.

CNC Router-kant-twist-clamp-08.jpg

I need to change the riveted design for the next one, but this has been a great fun project.

CNC Router-kant-twist-clamp-06.jpg

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to editor@glue-it.com For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Oct 21, 2021), Jon (Oct 21, 2021), lassab999 (Oct 22, 2021), mklotz (Oct 21, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Oct 21, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,224 Times in 1,738 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Very nice work as usual, Nigel. I have some of the commercial ones and find them very useful.

As your design evolves, you may want to consider V-grooves in the jaws. There are many useful options; parallel or perpendicular to the main screw, or both. Grooves in both jaws are nice but even if only in one jaw are still useful when clamping things with a rounded profile.

Clamps with interchangeable jaws are another design option. A shoulder bolt and nut in place of the rivet would make interchanges easy.

Plastic jaws and, dare I say it, wooden jaws are also a possibility for avoiding marring the clamped object.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Very nice work as usual, Nigel. I have some of the commercial ones and find them very useful.

As your design evolves, you may want to consider V-grooves in the jaws. There are many useful options; parallel or perpendicular to the main screw, or both. Grooves in both jaws are nice but even if only in one jaw are still useful when clamping things with a rounded profile.

Clamps with interchangeable jaws are another design option. A shoulder bolt and nut in place of the rivet would make interchanges easy.

Plastic jaws and, dare I say it, wooden jaws are also a possibility for avoiding marring the clamped object.
    Hi Marv, thanks for the kind words. I've been thinking about a few different options. Wooden jaws would be good as I have an oak jaw engineers clamp that comes into it's own sometimes. Also, I think bolts would be better in a few places actually. I'll have a think and another go. Cheers, Nigel

Thanks

The sand bag damping of the table when machining aluminium works a treat, here I demonstrate it:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 1,442 Posts

Thanks editor@glue-it.com! We've added your Kant-Twist Clamp to our Clamps category,
    as well as to your builder page: editor@glue-it.com's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

173 Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information