Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Collet nut wrench

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Ron B's Tools

Collet nut wrench

many years ago I was working as an engineer at saw mill where we had hundreds of bearings on tapered sleeves. The bearing race clearance was adjusted with a collet nut. Usually,the nuts were undone with a hammer and punch
    This meant we had piles of bashed up rings and these things are expensive. A proper wrench from the bearing manufacturer cost an arm and a leg so I made this.

The hook is hinged to handle with a fork and blade arrangement . The hook goes into the slot on the nut and you pull or push on the handle to either do or undo it. It's made from a piece of truck spring leaf and lthough i've used it constantly for 35 years it;s still working well. i can even belt the end of the handle with a 2lb hammer to loosen really tight nuts.
    It comes in handy for the nuts on older mercedes rear axle bearings .Something i do for a bit of a living nowadays
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Collet nut wrench-jims-coupe-running-009.jpg   Collet nut wrench-jims-coupe-running-010.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron B For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Apr 25, 2013), Paul Jones (Feb 19, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanks Ron B! I've added your Collet Nut Wrench to our Metalworking category, as well as to your builder page: Ron B's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information