Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Comparing worm shaft depth with three wire method

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Comparing worm shaft depth with three wire method

Hi All
    When machining worm shaft for the rotary table modification I am currently working on. I had an issue on how to check that I had machined to correct depth as I had no gauge to check fit before removing from the lathe. As I had removed original worm shaft from table, I decided to use the 3 wire method to check correct depth was achieved. I didn't have any thread wire gauges so decided to bend a piece of 5/32" rod as this fitted in the Vee-form nicely and was high enough to measure over the top of rod. I produced Mod 2 form tool using a tool and cutter grinder so was reasonably confident profile would be correct so the only thing I needed to worry about was the depth. I know this method is used to normally check the effective diameter and thread fit but this worked and enabled me to compare original worm depth to new worm. The photos below will hopefully clarify this method.

Comparing worm shaft depth with three wire method-three-wire-gauge.jpg
    Wire gauge bent from 5/32" rod

Comparing worm shaft depth with three wire method-gauge-place.jpg
    Wire gauge in place ready to be measured with caliper

Comparing worm shaft depth with three wire method-another-view-gauge-place.jpg
    Another view of wire gauge in place for clarification
    The gauge is a good tight fit over worm and is slightly sprung to keep in place and ensure all three wires are snug in the vee-form of worm

Comparing worm shaft depth with three wire method-measuring-over-wires.jpg
    Measuring over the wires.
    Both shafts measured the same across the wires and when the new shaft assembly was test fitted there was no play and moved table smoothly.

Thank you for taking the time to read
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 15, 2019), DIYSwede (Oct 14, 2019), EclecticNeophyte (Nov 30, 2021), high-side (Oct 14, 2019), Jon (Oct 14, 2019), olderdan (Oct 19, 2019), Paul Jones (Jan 15, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Dec 1, 2021), WyoGreen (Oct 20, 2019)

Thanks

Karl_H's Tools
    It is great that you had the old one with which to compare - assuming the reason for making a new one didn't involve a poor fit of the old worm gear.
    No tables or books, any handy wire, and a bit of ingenuity!

Well done.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Karl_H For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Oct 18, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    I really like that self holding wire measuring idea, it beats my 3 wires in a cork or plasticine method. These simple tips are little gems.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Just this morning I was trying to measure an 8 TPI/Morse taper adapter that I was cutting to compare to a wood lathe spindle nose with the 3 wire method, and discovered I'm not near coordinated enough to pull that off. Thanks for the idea, I'll give it a try next time.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information