Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Computer(s) in the shop?

Thanks

Computer(s) in the shop?

We all know how amazing a resource our electronic devices can be, though I suspect only those of us old enough to remember the way things were before can truly appreciate the current state of affairs.

Do you use a computer in the shop?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jun 16, 2015)

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Hi Ken, still a good question.
    I personnaly sometimes use a computer in the shop, especially when I do some accoustic works, mainly recording with a high quality USB microphone and doing some spectrum analysis with Audacity.
    But I think I would use it more if I had a better Wifi coverage in the shop. But I am quite balanced between the idea of doing something to bring the network in my shop or not doing anything, because I fear to be too much distracted by my preferred forum ... I would waste the benefit I had, getting up very early in the week end (often 5 o'clock) , in order to push forward the different projects I have ...
    But besides the computer, we should talk also about the smartphone.
    You were talking about the old times where the computers were not existing or too crude, but if you compare what a modern smartphone can do compared to what you computer did only 10 to 5 years ago ...
    And the smartphone can be of great help in the shop, I wrote a couple of articles about that :
    La Belle Note - Smart Tools, the virtual tool box

and this one also :

La Belle Note - Magnetic attachment for smartphone

But I also use some usefull apps like :
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e_Tools_Metric
    (there's also the imperial version)

and
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mi.elettronica

2000 Tool Plans
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christophe Mineau For This Useful Post:

jere (Jun 26, 2015), kbalch (Jun 16, 2015)

Thanks
    Every day! It keeps me happy with Pandora for listening and answers to any problem I might encounter working on vehicles. It supplies me with parts and diagrams that I might need.
    One of the best tools in my shop.

BB

Thanks
    While I usually have my iPhone in my pocket when working in the shop (for photos, unit conversions, etc.), I've never felt comfortable bringing any of my other portable devices out there. I'm probably being over-paranoid, but I worry about greasy fingers, scratched or smashed screens, dust & debris getting into keyboards, etc. Not to mention, clean horizontal surfaces are at a serious premium out there…

If I need to see a how-to video, I just run inside and watch it on the desktop.

Ken

Thanks

Edge20's Tools
    Yes, I have an old desktop in the shop mainly because my main tool (toy?) is a homebuilt cnc router/3d printer. Am giving serious thought to cncing my mill. I do most of my design work in the living room and send it via Dropbox to the shop

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Like Ken, I worry about the dust and inadvertent bump of a wrench or ratchet on a sensitive glass screen. But as Christophe pointed out, smartphones can be quite useful (and easily pocketed). In fact, I regularly use one with the Clinometer app.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,705 Times in 9,871 Posts
    Nope. I use my smartphone with a screen protector for abrasions, grease, etc. I would never place a PC in a dusty woodworking shop.

Al

Thanks

Catfish's Tools
    Yep, for 2D and 3D drafting, you tube video editing, email, etc. Currently a desktop xp machine, and windows 7 laptop, plus the Ipad air. is that enough.

Thanks

jere's Tools
    I too have recently upgraded to a smart phone for the shop (ended up needing it for work to take credit card payments with the square ap). I use it to get ideas and designs to combine and improve on often and stream music from tunein radio. I used to keep an old used netbook that could be dusty as it wanted. It died and it is just as well, like Christophe Mineau I found it sucking up my precious time.

One day I will maybe try a cheap laptop again with the single purpose of playing instructonal videos on the garage door with an old video projector.

My plan for a dust filter would be womans pantie hose material. It seems to work well with everything from wet dry vacs to small gas motors. I have heard the US military has used it on their tanks in the desert as the old filters would clog with sand
    Last edited by jere; Jun 26, 2015 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks
    There is some very useful and free software here from gates some of which I use there are both Mobile and PC apps available for some software, good stuff about belt design, engineering, Pressure drop and a host of useful stuff for home made tool people.

Resources - Engineering Business Applications | Gates Corporation

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-cox For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Jul 18, 2015)

Thread Information