Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and homemade tools

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts
    mklotz (and Joel on HSM) are right. This is an especially good time to leave the chainsaw alone. Similarly, I had to clean our woodstove chimney last week, and instead of risking going up on the roof, I disassembled the stovepipe in the living room, taped a garbage bag to the pipe, and cleaned it just fine from below (I used a hand drill extension rod brush through the bag).

The triaging of medical resources in Italy is no longer a rumor. If you are elderly (~65+, regardless of your own definition), and/or have medical issues, your care may be de-prioritized at a hospital. Covid hospitalization rates are estimated to be around 15% now, and that figure spans roughly across age groups. Fresh CDC data on US hospitalization rates is here. Specialized care is a rarity now; for example, you may have to be intubated by a dermatologist. Covid is very infectious; that's why countries are building separate dedicated hospitals to treat patients. Funerals are being increasingly forbidden. Mostly to prevent gatherings, but also because we believe that corpses may shed the virus.

Social distancing is not being observed as well as we would like. Expect a clampdown on this, and punishments for those who break rules. You do not want to be put in a jail now, not even for an hour, not even if you're correct.

Some supply chain updates. The Big 3 automakers are suspending production. Bloomberg is reporting that some of them may switch to ventilator production. Comparisons to WWII are numerous, both in regard to increased production, and estimated death counts. Amazon Prime Pantry has been suspended.

Try to source essentials without going to the grocery store and risking exposure. Here's a new site that will help you search Amazon for bulk items, and then sort by unit price. Many orders are not arriving. Consider splitting your bulk orders between multiple sellers.

Everyone is angry at China's recent social media spin. I'm OK with them posting their treacly feel-good videos about how everything is great now in China, but they crossed the line recently when a spokesman for their Ministry of Foreign affairs tweeted that "It might be US army who brought the epidemic to Wuhan". China's unsanitary wet market practices and their penchant for consuming exotic animals has caused previous epidemic issues, and an epidemic caused by bat-eating practices was predicted in this paper. Relevant text below:

NYT did a good job (for once) analyzing China's social media campaign here. Tensions are rising between China and the world, and we can expect this to cause supply long-term chain issues.

On the homemade tool front, here's a clever dog-walking trick. Except for extremely rare cases (I've only seen 2 reported thus far), dogs can't get Covid, although they can carry coronavirus on their fur if people pet them.

And a nice urban vs. rural quarantine meme.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 20, 2020), Seedtick (Mar 19, 2020)

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Just wondering, what is it that's supposed to be in industrial O2 that's all that bad for you? If the tank is 99% O2, then you've got 1% max of someone wrong gas that doesn't oxidize in the presence of high pressure O2. It would have to be worse than smog to be even a concern.

One thing I noticed today, with the "stay home" order here the air is almost so clear I can't see it.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Lmao you must be from NY or California

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Coronavirus and homemade tools-hammer-dance-quote.jpg

Sobering reading from the following article (app 20-30 mins of reading):

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-be9337092b56

-Take care all you HMT:s, wherever you are!

Johan

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
    Lmao you must be from NY or California
    California at the moment hoping we can get this place sold and move to our new home where the air is CLEAR and the water is clean. All my sinus problems clear up as soon as we get there only to return when we're in California.

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I had planned to post some resources about homemade masks today, but the DIY ventilator front is advancing too quickly to ignore.

A quick point about supply chains first. I saw an interesting point about, ahem, The Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 2020, as it applies to a supply chain phenomenon called the Bullwhip Effect. This is also demonstrated in something called the Beer Distribution Game, which was invented by Jay Forrester at the MIT Sloan School of Management. This helps explain why toilet paper is rare now, even though Coronavirus isn't really increasing the need for toilet paper. Related issues are starting to appear, such as this sewer problem in Redding, CA caused by people flushing shredded t-shirts. DIY bidets are also relevant to homemade tool builders, and we can get into that later.

Back to vents. One of the problems with Covid isn't just the number of people requiring ventilation. It's the long length of time that those people need to be ventilated so that they recover - or die. Eventually.

We progressed rather rapidly from a narrative of "building your own ventilators is crazy, and should be left to medical professionals" to "let's all work together on feel-good open-source DIY ventilator production". Looks like Elon Musk is even volunteering to help humanity. We're saved

Two fronts here: creating more ventilators, and techniques to use single ventilators on multiple patients.

Splitting ventilators: https://emcrit.org/pulmcrit/split-ventilators/

Open source or inexpensive ventilator projects:

https://gitlab.com/TrevorSmale/OSV-OpenLung
    https://opensourceventilator.ie/
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...4.2009.06207.x

There's also the Umbilizer, a low-cost ventilator project associated with Harvard and MIT students. More:

https://www.alumni.hbs.edu/video.aspx?v=1_1z7uopu4
    Low-cost ventilator wins Sloan health care prize | MIT News
    Umbilizer patent is here

Finally some fresh memes. I'm loving the WWII and mid-century imagery.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 21, 2020), dubbby (Mar 20, 2020), high-side (Mar 21, 2020), jimfols (Mar 20, 2020), llh49 (Mar 20, 2020), Toolmaker51 (May 15, 2020)

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools

Talking Homebrewing disinfectants & How-to add "Death-Ray Apparatus" to your entrance.

Being confined to my home, and the following is happening around us
    (1/3 of the cases below in the Greater Stockholm area, where we live):

Coronavirus and homemade tools-cases-march-20th.jpg

Whilst having my morning coffee I wondered: "What's already around the apartment that could be of use for disinfection?"

Now, this is just me "winging it" - not particularly scientific, but 100% DIY.
    "Everyman their own Mad Scientist!" Use this "info" at your own discretion, and YMMV!

Found items:
    MEK-Denaturated alcohol (window cleaner): litre and a half, Sodium Hypochlorite (Household Bleach): same amount,
    Liquid Soap, Citric acid and D-Limonene, "Orange Oil" (cleaner, de-calcifier & aroma...)
    So: To one litre of booze, add 4 tsp of citric acid crystals, some liquid soap and half a dozen drops of "Orange Oil",
    these will add wetting capacity to the booze and also take some of the MEK smell/ taste away. Put in spray bottle.

Dilute the bleach 1 part to 30 parts water, add some soap and drops of orange oil -
    put in spray bottle for bathroom use & shiny, hard surfaces. Smells Clean & Safe...

Next: -Why not make the entrance hallway a DIY "virological lock"?
    I salvaged an (UV light) Ozone generator from the electronics bin at work a few years back,
    pimped it with a small computer fan for better output,
    and added another 12 VDC computer fan to the hallway floor for circulation (as ozone is heavier than air).
    All running thru a discarded coffee-machine timer, 1 hour after each entry will suffice.

"-IT WERKS!" This is the running "Insta-Kil" generator on top of the hallway cupboard:

Coronavirus and homemade tools-img_0284.jpg

The pedestal-mounted tray for hats, gloves, keys etc below the unit:

Coronavirus and homemade tools-img_0283.jpg

Kludged shower curtain rod with PE sheet in doorway to apartment: Efficient and sexy-looking too...
    Coathanger to the right, airspace between each hanging item:

Coronavirus and homemade tools-img_0282.jpg

When entering: take off clothes, shoes, hats & gloves and put where intended.
    Go thru lock, start "the Apparatus", then into bathroom for cleaning/ disinfection of hands...

EDIT: Everything entering gets an hour of treatment,
    including groceries, mail, the morning paper etc.
    This might seem excessive, but as the rate of cases in our area rises, and the longevity of virus on surfaces,
    this is a pretty easily executed, simple and hopefully effective precaution.
    Check out: https://patents.google.com/patent/US20080213125A1/en/End EDIT/

Well - time will perhaps tell if this was successful or not - but at least I wasted a few hours of confinement!

All the best from Johan
    Last edited by DIYSwede; Mar 23, 2020 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Added info

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

Altair (Mar 27, 2020), dubbby (Mar 24, 2020), high-side (Mar 29, 2020), Howder1951 (Mar 21, 2020), Jon (Mar 21, 2020), mr herb (Mar 24, 2020), Toolmaker51 (May 15, 2020)

Thanks
    entry area is actually a good concept, if push does come to shove, what will be needed is fast easy economical and effective viral stops. And it always pays to be prepared in advance, like when we ran out of TP!

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    Here's sound advice from Joe Pieczynski of protection to take that you've probably overlooked.

If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 30, 2020), Jon (Mar 22, 2020), mr herb (Mar 24, 2020), Saltfever (Mar 23, 2020), Toolmaker51 (May 15, 2020)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Good one. I've used that "fresh paint" analogy too. Retraining yourself to not touch surfaces (or your face!) is very difficult.

Regarding surfaces, this video from Dr. John Campbell (not a medical doctor, but I believe his doctorate is in nursing), did a good job of breaking down our understanding of coronavirus survival on surfaces for medical laypeople. Here's the NEJM study he's discussing. 15:44 video:

More points:

-Packages are often made up of cardboard (low virus survivability) and packaging tape. I believe we don't have data on virus survivability on packaging tape, but it's reasonable to assume that it's closer to plastic (high virus survivability) than to cardboard. I'm not sure where non-cardboard larger packaging envelopes fit into this.

-Of course we know viruses aren't exactly sprinkled out of a virus salt shaker onto a surface. Their survivability is aided by the fact that they are deposited within protective droplets of mucous and/or saliva, that help them stay moist and viable for a while.

-It looks like copper has low virus survivability. We may see copper prices rise and copper supply drop. People building sanitary homemade tools (like button-pressers) should consider copper.

-The primary means of transmission is still via expelled droplets from sick people that contact mucous membranes of healthy people. However, the data on surface transmission is troubling.

-Despite fictional movies that present a false dichotomy of viruses being either/or "airborne" or not, it's actually a spectrum, and coronavirus does indeed have some aerosolized survivability. In smaller droplets, coronavirus can be suspended in the air for around half an hour. This may explain why healthcare workers are contracting the virus at such a high rate.

A few memes and then I think we'll hit the homemade mask front after the weekend.

2020 "social distancing" Olympics symbol:

Lego Coronavirus kit; nice Photoshop work:

But this one is my favorite of the day:

Thread Information