Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and homemade tools

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    China's covid death numbers are looking increasingly untrustworthy. Italy's reported death toll is almost double China's reported death toll, and Italy has 5% of China's population. This disparity is too large to be explained by Italy's older population, cultural kiss-on-the-cheek rituals, population density, or anything else. Spain is in trouble too; hospitals and morgues are at or over capacity. France is close behind.

WHO (World Health Organization) criticism is mainstreaming, in particular: their initial downplaying and later backpedaling of human-to-human covid transmission, their unusual praise of China's response to the virus, and their acceptance of a $20 million donation from China. If China wants to make donations, they should donate needed healthcare supplies, not feed money to an organization whose global health messaging now conveniently favors them.

The New England Journal of Medicine today set out guidelines for triaging of medical resources. If you are over 60, and/or have preexisting conditions, your care will be de-prioritized, and your cohort's death rate will rise.

The US stock market has lost 1/3 of its value. Talk of a worldwide depression is reasonable. National Guard deployments are increasing, certainly to secure food distribution, and probably to enforce lockdown measures. Amazon Prime shipment times are 1 month for some items; many "in stock" item orders are being cancelled. Household decontamination rooms are increasing. Ammunition, especially in popular calibers, is widely unavailable.

Let's look at homemade masks. "Masks are useless for most people" is now a widely-acknowledged falsehood.

-Any barriers over your nose and mouth are significantly effective, some more than others. Evidence: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

-Infected people are asymptomatic and contagious for a median of 5 days. If everyone wore a mask in public, then these infected asymptomatic people would not be so easily transmitting the virus.

-Face masks prevent face-touching.

-Government messaging on this issue is an attempt to optimize the supply of masks for healthcare workers.

Some DIY mask resources:

https://hackaday.com/2020/03/18/home...e-of-shortage/
    https://covidmaskmakers.com/
    https://longliveyoursmile.com/3d-pri...-for-covid-19/
    https://copper3d.com/hackthepandemic/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3373043/
    https://cv-masks.github.io/satin_fac...cup_effect.pdf
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ong-scientists
    https://www.asiaone.com/lifestyle/ta...eres-how-do-it
    https://twitter.com/maddenw/status/1240989649461342208

Finally, some memes. An old photo repurposed nicely into a coronavirus meme:

Clever commentary on ammunition and sanitizer shortage:

Finally, I guess "Chinese" is a race now, at least for purposes of blame-shifting and race-baiting.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; Mar 23, 2020 at 05:21 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 24, 2020), dubbby (Mar 24, 2020), GedB (Mar 24, 2020), high-side (Mar 24, 2020), HobieDave (Mar 24, 2020), rlm98253 (Mar 23, 2020), Seedtick (Mar 23, 2020), Toolmaker51 (May 15, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Up until now, I fell firmly into the "coronavirus is a beat up" camp, however this came across my desk this morning. If it's true, in which case the authorities would likely know about it and WE definitely would not. it does throw a new light on the "panic lock down" syndrome currently being employed.
    https://ufospotlight.wordpress.com/2...avirus-crisis/

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old kodger View Post
    Up until now, I fell firmly into the "coronavirus is a beat up" camp, however this came across my desk this morning. If it's true, in which case the authorities would likely know about it and WE definitely would not. it does throw a new light on the "panic lock down" syndrome currently being employed.
    https://ufospotlight.wordpress.com/2...avirus-crisis/
    I've seen this going around. First person accounts like this will draw a lot of questions, and will come up against the standard response: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

However, within most conspiracy theories are grains of truth. The arrest of Harvard nanoscience chemistry professor Charles Lieber is definitely real, as are his ties to Wuhan. So is the existence of a biosafety level 4 lab in Wuhan. I believe we can reasonably identify coronavirus as NOT having been bioengineered. It most likely evolved naturally. But yes, it's possible that it leaked from a lab that was storing it for study. In fact, this happened with SARS in 2003. A doctoral student was studying a frozen West Nile virus sample and it became cross-contaminated with SARS, and the student was infected. Lancet study documenting the incident: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...815-6/fulltext.

Here's a hospital video from Madrid, Spain. This is why you don't want to go to the hospital right now. Not for coronavirus, not for a broken toe, not for anything. Click to play:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

dubbby (Mar 24, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Well that was an interesting article. I am skeptical by nature, but also open to crazy possibilities, some things that have happened over the years just do not make sense at all.

I would close by saying that time will tell, but, very possibly we will never know the real truth.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 15, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    as an aside, many years ago I studied Naturopathy, during that time there was a magazine called Australian Health and Healing. An article in one edition of that mag told of a vet who always used megga doses of vit C for snake bites in animals, now we have some very venomous snakes here, her comment was she never lost an animal.
    The comment has already been made several times that vit C combats covid19, .........so why aren't they using it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Finally, I guess "Chinese" is a race now, at least for purposes of blame-shifting and race-baiting.

The reason it's not appropriate to call it the "Chinese Virus" is that that's not it's name. There's no good reason to use the incorrect name of a disease.
    The disease is called COVID-19 because that indicates that it's a coronavirus that was discovered in 2019. Of the examples you listed, "German" is the only one that refers to a specific group of people. That name dates back to 1814, but it's more properly called Rubella since that is the name of the virus. Times change, diseases are named differently now. All of the "Okay" examples listed pre-date the World Health Organization Best Practices for the Naming of New Human Infectious Diseases which was published in May 2015.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Airstreamer For This Useful Post:

Moby Duck (Mar 28, 2020), Rikk (Mar 24, 2020), that_other_guy (Mar 28, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Everyone should read this book: Linus Pauling's book

(1977). Vitamin C, the Common Cold and the Flu. W.H. Freeman. ISBN 978-0-7167-0360-0

Widely available but not cheap try the library

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Airstreamer View Post
    Of the examples you listed, "German" is the only one that refers to a specific group of people. That name dates back to 1814, but it's more properly called Rubella since that is the name of the virus. Times change, diseases are named differently now. All of the "Okay" examples listed pre-date the World Health Organization Best Practices for the Naming of New Human Infectious Diseases which was published in May 2015.
    "Spanish" also refers to a specific group of people. But, yes, that term's accuracy in regard to the Spanish Flu epidemic is questionable too.

The WHO is free to publish best practices for naming diseases, but they don't have the authority to declare a disease's singular name. Similarly:

-The WHO waited too long to name this a "pandemic".

-The WHO repeated a pseudoscientific line from Chinese authorities that claimed that there is "no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel coronavirus".

-The WHO changed their medical suggestions about covid treatment after China's reported $20 million donation, to eliminate their warning against "traditional herbal remedies", a favorite of the Chinese. Note this WHO page archive. Click on "Is there anything I should not do?" in regard to treating covid. "Taking traditional herbal remedies" is on the list. Here's the same page today, without the warning. The warning against taking traditional herbal remedies was removed after the donation. Some herbal remedies may help alleviate some symptoms of some diseases, but this change, in light of the donation, was too close for comfort.

More from WSJ: The World Health Organization Draws Flak for Coronavirus Response.

Nevertheless, both of our positions are valid. Others' cries of "racism" are overboard, but yes, you're correct: our naming systems, at least officially, should rely on dry scientific nomenclature. Aggressively naming this "China Flu" is likely a response to China's attempt to blame the US military as the source of Coronavirus.

Regarding vitamin C. Yes, there is some evidence that vitamin C helps immunity, just as there is some evidence that vitamin D helps prevent respiratory infections. However, this advice is nuanced enough (for example, vitamin D may help people who are vitamin D deficient) that most people in most circumstances consuming large doses of these vitamins is not currently thought to have a significant effect. We all have a tendency to hang our hearts on magic pill cures, when the best advice is often difficult - practicing long-term good health: not smoking, not being overweight, avoiding heart disease and cancer risk factors, washing our hands, and living an overall healthy lifestyle.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

that_other_guy (Mar 28, 2020), Toolmaker51 (May 15, 2020)

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Lancet study documenting the incident: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...815-6/fulltext.
    I work in a research facility, it includes a bio-lab suite, and I work in there when required, none of this comes as a surprise.
    NONE of the Chinese s-too-dense could be trusted to operate reliably and safely in there unsupervised, though they did, the final sterilisation by autoclave was often omitted as they didn't see the point and expected the technical staff to clean up after them so they could foxtrot oscar back to their enclave ASAP. If you don't kill it it will escape.

They are not alone in breaking such safety protocols, one 'middle-eastern' PhD student broken import laws when returning from 'home' by bringing live snakes and scorpions back in his luggage, which he then put in 'his' lab not the insectary, and not in the correct secure containers but in simple cardboard boxes, several weeks later it was found most had escaped into environment via the heating ducts...

As for no-one over 60 being supported or even younger, that's basic incident triage, something I was trained to do many years ago, around the time I was working at Porton Down.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Conspiracy theories aside if nothing else this latest strain of whatever anyone wants to call it, is going to create a whole new generation of persons infected with OCD. Which may not be a bad thing in itself. Some of these folks may learn how to pick up after themselves and how to clean their toilets, counter tops and door knobs.
    My question is though since the virus has already proven to be transmitted either by touch or airborne from breathing in the air around you after someone has sneezed or coughed plus it is theorized to have a longer life in humidity's above 40% would it be too far fetched to think that it could be transmitted through air handling equipment like legionnaires disease? All of the triggers are there.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information