Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Crane wood chipper - GIF and video

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,839 Times in 11,337 Posts

Crane wood chipper - GIF and video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

bukwessul (Sep 8, 2018), dubbby (May 20, 2020), philipUsesWood&Brass (Sep 5, 2018), PJs (Sep 10, 2018), rlm98253 (Sep 5, 2018), Seedtick (Sep 5, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    California should have had several of these for clearing the under brush thenmaybe they wouldn't have the severe fires that they do

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mcthistle007 (Nov 6, 2021), philipUsesWood&Brass (Sep 5, 2018), PJs (Oct 1, 2018)

Thanks

United States Forestry Practices

As a Life long Wood Worker, I have watched our Forests in the WESTERN United STATES be Mis-Managed. The Eastern US provides The World with some very Wonderful HARDWOODS, and ~That~ is because Over 150 Years Ago the HardWood Lumber Companies "came to Understand" that ~If They Did NOT Manage their Forests~ there would be NO Forests for their Great Grandchildren, Etc. ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! The Western Loggers well they Just Cut and Fall for the most part, until about 30 Years ago.

They Created a "Guild" of Lumber Producers (Hardwoods) and Made Sure that each Logger Vouched they would Replant THREE Trees for every Tree Cut.

Today, throughout the Eastern "Wood Cutting" region, Their Forest are Double the Size of 150+ years ago! There is "Some" development in the Western Wood Area's But NOTHING like our Eastern Forests!

During that same time the European Cutters took a slightly different approach, "Planting Yes" but also ~How can we USE more of Each Tree We Cut~ AND now they USE as much as 98 % of the Entire Tree, Root System and UP ! ! ! !

In comparison, the Average use of an American Tree has gone from 20 - 30 Percent to as much as 50+Percent ~on Average~.

The BEST "Use of a Tree" is Still in the Eastern US, for Example, Smith Hardwood Floors, is STILL using Steam Powered Every Thing, and their Original Boiler Plant Dates Back to the Civil War. Really!!!!! They Fire Up using trimmings etc, and only shut down for Maintainance.

My Hardwood Floors BOSS, went back to Smith's Every Year, to discuss our Companies "Projected Use" and wood was PreOrdered a Year in Advance, for Maximum Profit for Our Company as well as Smith's!

I hope that was of interest to the Wood Workers here, BTW, I was Mr. Stuarts "Specialty Wood Worker" and as such was on the "Wood Buyer list" at Three Different Locations in Sonoma County for S2S woods to match certain contracts. In my Current Stock, I STILL have some Custom Flooring made of California Madrone, which Now is 40 Plus Years since milling!

philip,

Wood Worker, Tooling Maker and True Story Sharing since Noah Launched his Ark. (Well, It ~seems~ that Long ago)
    Last edited by philipUsesWood&Brass; Sep 5, 2018 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Spellen Airs! Plus stuff that slipped out my ear and did not get typed!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to philipUsesWood&Brass For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 10, 2018), thevillageinn (Sep 7, 2018)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Timber loading and transporting truck. Look at that cab

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

basil3w (Oct 1, 2018), Beserkleyboy (Oct 1, 2018), Clockguy (Oct 2, 2018), jackhoying (Oct 2, 2018), KustomsbyKent (Oct 1, 2018), PJs (Oct 1, 2018), rgsparber (Oct 1, 2018), rlm98253 (Oct 1, 2018), Seedtick (Oct 1, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quite the cable carriers on the back side of the cab and possibly some kind of link track to raise and lower it over a single guide or maybe a hydraulic/pneumatic ram. For the thing to swing 360° in either direction from a lazy susan base is pretty wiggy engineering wise...and wonder why it would be necessary just to use the boom crane and hopefully the two shall never meet!
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    From an operators efficiently, safety and comfort stand point I can see some advantages to both of these last two gif's
    By incorporating all of the controls into the truck cab there is no need to have a second operator's console and enclosure also only needs one AC and heater The truck cab can be hardened to serve as a ROPS thus increased safety on the highway. Making the cabs rotate and or elevate would be no trick in today's world with everything being fly by wire so to speak. Electrical pneumatic and hydraulic full rotation manifolds & terminals have been around for more than 50 years.
    The operator never has to exit the cab another safety less chance of him trying to climb ladders or steps with muddy boots or cold wet gloves or having to contend with hostile insects and other vermin.
    Last but not least would be the probable weight and duplication of parts savings which are probably negated due to the addition of slewing rings and elevation structures .
    But the cool points are out of the park.

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Scotty12 (Jan 27, 2020), Seedtick (Jan 27, 2020)

Supporting Member Fluffle-Valve's Avatar
    Thanks
    Wow, that makes short work of them trees.
    I have a 1972 Land Rover Series III Truck Cab/Pick-Up and a 1962 Land Rover Series 2a Carawagon Camper.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Looks like there is no such thing as overloading that chipper

Thanks
    The Same as here in Oztralia The Solutions and Answers are there But not much Happens or Changes Sad Very Sad.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information